Monday, April 1, 2013

Voi Che Sapete

You, ladies, who know what love is,
look to see if it is in my heart
~Cherubino's Aria from Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro


Just one song this Music Monday: Cherubino's Aria from Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro, also known as Voi che sapete:


In The Marriage of Figaro, the singer is a boy, but the character is traditionally played by a woman because the character's voice hasn't changed yet. Here's a Chinese version sung by a young man:


More of the lyrics:

I'm searching for affection outside of myself,
I don't know how to hold it, nor even what it is!
I sigh and lament without wanting to,
I twitter and tremble without knowing why,
I find peace neither night nor day,
But still I rather enjoy languishing this way.

1 comment:

Irene Latham said...

I love seeing "twitter" before it became Twitter! And yes, how to hold it... tough lesson, that one.