Friday, April 5, 2013

Musical Poetry

I share a lot of music on The Opposite of Indifference and I am circling 'round again with some music-inspired poetry. First up is a lovely haiga by Diane Mayr:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next poem was inspired by a video I posted in October 2012:


A No People Song
a triolet by Nathan Li, age 7

It's a no people song,
The players are all balls.
It's an extremely cool song.
It's a no people song.

Would you like to play along
with musical waterfalls?
It's a no people song,
The players are all balls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you familiar with 100 Scope Notes' Book Spine Poems? I made a jazz club book spine poem called "What Happened At Midnight?"


What Happened At Midnight?

Wild Magic
 Furious Improvisation --
  Impact!

   Beloved Things Not Seen --
    The Joy Within
     A Corner of the Universe.


City Jazz by brillianthues

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from Song from a Country Fair
By Léonie Adams

...I saw the old come out to dance.
The heart is not so light at first,
But heavy like a bough in spring.

read it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robyn has the Poetry Friday round-up.

8 comments:

Linda B said...

I remember the musical video! The poem by the young boy is just right, isn't it? I love that you placed the 'title' of the book spine poem upright, haven't seen that before but it creates a good image, Tabatha. Thank you for all the goodness here!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Your blog is always like a carnival for creative folks! Thank you for all of these wonders. I'd missed the music last fall - incredible. Nathan is my hero - what a terrific concept for his triolet, a "no people song."

Bravo all around.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Between Irene Latham's Progressive Poem, my Poetry Friday poem, and this...it's turning out to be a very musical month! Really enjoyed these.

Janet Wong said...

Myra Cohn Livingston used to ask, "Can you put a little more music in it?" Great post, Tabatha--and a great reminder at how poetry and music are (and need to be) connected!

Ruth said...

What a wonderful spine poem! Well, it's all wonderful.

Mary Lee said...

Love your spine poem! Fun to have the title vertical!

Doraine said...

A lovely collection, Tabatha. I love those wonderful lines from Léonie Adams.

Melwyk said...

I love everything in this post :) And I agree that the book spine poem with the title vertical looks fantastic, and sounds great too.