Thursday, May 2, 2019

Poems about Poets

Every individual ought to know at least one poet from cover to cover: if not as a guide through the world, then as a yardstick for the language.
~Joseph Brodsky


Have you written a poem about or inspired by another poet? Send me the link and I'll add it to the list!

James Arthur:

High Plains Wind by Mary Lee Hahn

William Stanley Braithwaite:

The Gift of Dawn by Molly Hogan

Jimmy Carter:

President-Poet by Tabatha Yeatts

Billy Collins:

At the First Light of Day by Jone Rush MacCulloch
Imaginary Billy and I Discuss the Founding Documents by Tabatha Yeatts
Our Ship by Margaret Simon
Thoughts from Beside my Mother's Hospital Bed by Mary Lee Hahn

Adelaide Crapsey:

A Cinquain for Adelaide Crapsey by Elizabeth Steinglass

E.E. Cummings:

under the influence by Cheriee Weichel

Emily Dickinson:

Dickinson's Garden by Ariana Yeatts-Lonske
If Dickinson Had a Daughter by Brenda Davis Harsham
To Make a Forest by Mary Lee Hahn

Robert Frost:

Happy Birthday to Robert Frost by Brenda Davis Harsham
Nothing Gold by Mary Lee Hahn

Albert Garcia:

August Afternoon by Carol Varsalona

Seamus Heaney:

Poetry’s Power by Alice Nine

Gerard Manley Hopkins:

Glory by Sara Lewis Holmes

Lee Bennett Hopkins:

Don't Ask a Hopkinsaurus by Michelle Heidenrich Barnes
Two poems (Crows and DEET-ed Tick) by Alice Nine

Langston Hughes:

Your Embrace by Alice Nine

Issa:

If Truth Be Told by Mary Lee Hahn

Kathy Jetnel-Kijiner and Aka Niviâna:

Sister of Sea and Sand/Sister of Snow and Ice by Michelle Kogan

Karla Kuskin:

Autumn That Was Put Into Words (And Pictures) by Linda Baie

Pat Miller

Remarkably Aria by Kimberly Hutmacher

Naomi Shihab Nye:

Children of the World by Brenda Davis Harsham
Golden Shovels by Jone Rush MacCulloch
In Robyn's Dawn Chorale by Christie Wyman
Letters by Michelle Heidenrich Barnes
Mother Nature by Michelle Kogan

Mary Oliver:

A Misty Mary Morning by Margaret Simon
Box Full of Darkness by Ruth Hersey
Mary Oliver Reminds Me by Brenda Davis Harsham
With Thanks to the Unknown Bird, Whose Nest is so Carefully Constructed by Molly Hogan

Rainer Maria Rilke:

On Rilke’s Poetry by Brenda Davis Harsham

Dr. Seuss:

On Seuss’s Different Colored Days by Brenda Davis Harsham

William Carlos Williams:

A Lazy Symphony by Mary Lee Hahn
So Much Depends Upon by Margaret Simon
This is Just to Say by Sally Murphy

**********

Don't forget to sign up for the Summer Poetry Swap!


Jama's Alphabet Soup has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Jama!

16 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

I am working on a poem to add to this page....stay tuned. I love, LOVE the links I can go off to explore. You are the best!

Linda B said...

Don't know which to read first, Tabatha. What a wonderful list of poets writing about poets!

jama said...

Thanks for compiling this list! Will enjoy clicking through and reading. :)

Alice Nine said...

Thank you for compiling this wonderful list, Tabatha. I'm bookmarking so I can come back and read. I've sent you a couple of mine via email.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Such a great list... I'll have to have look to see if I can find any others.

Molly Hogan said...

Wow! You're creating a really fabulous resource with this list! I can't wait to explore!

Carol said...

Such a great list. I read a couple and am definitely going to bookmark this and come back and read some others. I know I have written some too, but will have to go back through my work and find them.

Margaret Simon said...

You are one of the best mensches of the kidlit poetry world. What a wonderful collection! Thanks!

Carol Varsalona said...

Thank you so much, Tabatha for this amazing list of mentor text. The poem I created based on a mentor text is at my blog: https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2015/08/august-afternoon.html. August Morning by Albert Garcia. My poem modeled on Garcia's is called August Afternoon. I can't remember if I signed up for the Summer Swap but I do want to join in at my usual 3xs rate.

Cheriee Weichel said...

Thank you for this list. I was surprised to find my own poem here! Thank you for including it. I've bookmarked the page to come back to.

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

What a wonderful list, Tabatha. Here is a link to a poem I wrote for my granddaughter that was inspired by the rhyming picture book Remarkably You by Pat Miller. http://kimberlyhutmacherwrites.blogspot.com/2019/03/poetry-friday-remarkably-you-by-pat.html

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for including me! I have lots more, but no time right now to go mining. I'll put it on my June to-do list if that's not too late!

Kay said...

I have not written a poem about a poet--yet, but I love this page that collects them. Thank you for gathering this resource to come back to again and again.

Jone said...

You do have me on the Summer Poetry Swap, yes? Hi

Christie Wyman said...

I was inspired by a line from an interview with Naomi Shihab Nye. You can find it here on my blog! https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/2019/05/30/borrowing-a-line-from-nsn-poetryfriday/

sarah said...

Hi Tabatha. I do write some ( maybe, even silly) rhyme about hand embroidery.Would love to share one of my first ones:

If you are lazy and you know it,
Clap your hands! ( Nothing wrong with that! I am many times. 😀)
If you are not a fan of big knots and loops,
Clap your hands!
( Who is not pressed for time and patience? 😅)
If you enjoy easy stitching,
Whether outlines, borders or fillings,
Yet, if you want a fabulous result,
Clap your hands!

--> Clap your hands, 'coz The Running Stitch Family has it all! The stitches are super easy and simple. There are traditional embroidery forms that depend only on the Running Stitch and it's variations, like Sashiko, Kantha, Kasuti and Blackwork, to name a few. You can do outlines, fillings, borders with ease! Try these stitches.