Thursday, April 11, 2013

Terrariums

Making the plural of a word that ends in -um can be tricky -- "terrariums" looked funny to me, but "terraria" looks even funnier. Anyway, what's a terrarium? It's "a sealed transparent globe or similar container in which plants are grown." It's a self-contained ecosystem that can even be created in a lightbulb. There are even terrarium rings!

Neo-Victorian Still Life
photo by Anna Fischer

Terrarium
by Amber Alexander

Ancient Goddess Ruins Fantasy Forest Terrarium
by Tony Larson

Lightbulb Terrarium
by Jennifer Feuchter

Air Plant Terrarium
by Gönül Yetim

Terrarium Cookies
photo by Zoe Lukas

Antique Teapot Terrarium
photo by Sara Gies

Paxton Gate
photo by Christopher Michel
Links:

* Design Sponge shared a history of terrariums & a terrarium round-up
* Take a look at this one!
* Watercolor Terrarium Art Project for Kids
* Lesson Plan: Making a Terrarium
* I am a sucker for plants, as you can see here, here, and here.

3 comments:

Linda B said...

I spent a lot of time years ago creating terrariums in old canning bottles. It was fun to find the right plants to grow in them, & I liked the contained look of them. I never did a light bulb, though. Cool!

HWY said...

These are wonderful little art works...sort of like bonsai in a bottle.

I, too, love the light bulb terrarium, and the painting by Alexander is very soothing!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I just LOVE that antique tea pot terrarium - my summer project!