Thursday, April 23, 2020

Swings

Being able every once in awhile to look out the window and see your daughters during the summer, swinging on that swing set, made the presidency a little bit sweeter.
~Barack Obama


I had a tooth knocked out by a swing, and I also had a swingset fall over when I was on it, pinning me underneath. No one was around so I had to wait for someone to hear me yelling. But still, no hard feelings towards swings.

Girl standing on a swing in St. Louis, Missouri, 1914
by Marguerite Martyn

Romanesque fresco of St. Proculus in the church St. Proculus, 7th century, Naturns, South Tyrol, Italy. Notable is the wrong grip to the rope.
photo by Dietrich Krieger

A pair of swinging Remojadas figurines, Classic Veracruz culture, 300 CE to 900 CE
photo by Maurice Marcellin.

"The 5th Women Folk Plays for Dano Festival" held in a yard of the Andong Folk Museum in Andong City, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea
photo by Robert

A traditional Russian swing (A Russian swing is a large, floor-mounted swing which is sometimes used in circus performances to make impressive high acrobatic jumps.)
Дж. А. Аткинсон

Kiiking (an Estonian swing sport) (I would 100% be guaranteed to puke)
Source: Eesti Kiikingi Liit


3 comments:

HWY said...


I loved swinging when I was a kid. But I must admit I preferred the hard flat seats over the flexible "strap" kind.

Interesting that swings go back so far in history!

Molly Hogan said...

I loved seeing all these swing images.Did you know that lots of people put swings in their chicken coops for the chicks to enjoy! lol

Tabatha said...

I did not know that about the chicken swings, Molly, but that conjures quite an adorable image!