Thursday, April 16, 2020

Mini Escape

Slow breathing is like an anchor in the midst of an emotional storm: the anchor won't make the storm go away, but it will hold you steady until it passes.
~Russ Harris




Today's TIWYK poem is from Michelle Kogan. She would like the reader to know about comforts that work for her and might be helpful for them:

COMFORTING ANXIETY

Moments of anxiety
Visit many in our society,

Not just one’s diagnosed
But one’s who feel they’ve seen a ghost…

So if you’d like to squelch that fear
And send it packing and not so near,

Here are a couple things I’ve tried
That often lifts my spirit and stride.

I’ll pick a spot I’ve loved to be,
Eyes closed, focus, I’m there by three.

Sit quite still, thinking only of my spot
Slowly my knots begin to unknot…

Warmth spreads through my entire being
Like rays of sun lifting and freeing.

But if my mini escape escapes you,
Try squiggling some lines to see you through.

Follow that line, curve, or mark
Wherever it goes it may erase away dark.

If you’re still feeling low, and not sure which way to go–
Send me a flag, text, or call, and let me know.

And now my friend, breathe in and out,
And remember, I’m here for you always, without a doubt.

© 2020 Michelle Kogan

**********

Michelle chose an article about how nature makes you feel better to go with her poem. She also liked this video:



Here are two other bird video Michelle recommends.

**********

Nix the comfort zone has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Molly!

19 comments:

Buffy Silverman said...

Thanks for sharing Michelle's poem--reminders to breathe are pretty helpful these days!

Sally Murphy said...

Thanks for sharing Michelle's poem - very appropriate for the times. And though I only watched the start of the video it is really soothing - and features black swans, which are native to my area her in Australia.

Molly Hogan said...

I love the Russ Harris quote that you chose to start the post. It was the perfect lead in to Michelle's poem. Finishing up with bird song was perfect--both my cat and I were appreciative. I'm looking forward to spending some time in nature and listening to the birds over this next week of spring break.

Janice Scully said...

Anxiety is definitely on the rise and I think Michelle's advice in her poem is helpful, not to mention the amazing sounds in those videos. Thank you for sharing these.

Irene Latham said...

Oh those knots unknotting... love! xo

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing Michelle's poem. Who knew how much we would all need it these days? I am so grateful I can look out the window to get my nature fix.

jan godown annino said...

Ah! These calming couplets are good medicine. Appreciations again, Tabatha for your creating this prompt series. I still hope to oblige. (is deadline end of April?) And back to Michelle's reassuring poem - I am especially called to "-try squiggling some lines-" Thank you, both.

Linda B said...

Thank you for sharing this one, Tabatha, and for writing to let us all know that there is a way to lessen the load & you will be there, too, Michelle. It helps to know.

Linda Mitchell said...

Wow! The quote at the top of your page is wonderful. One to keep and share, for sure. And, thank you for sharing Michelle's poem. It is calming, those couplets. I often think of how I am fortunate to have more than one happy place.

Carol Varsalona said...

I like everything about this post today, Tabatha, starting with the quote you shared. (I am going to showcase that at my #NatureNurtures2020 Gallery (from you). I not enjoyed Michelle's poem but think the tips are wonderful, especially now when we need a mindful spirit the most: "Sit quite still, thinking only of my spot
Slowly my knots begin to unknot…
The article and the video are soothing also. Your post is a jackpot of nurturing thoughts.

Bridget Magee said...

Practical advice in poetic form. Brilliant! I like to end my daily wogs (hybrid walk/jog with my dog) at a lakefront park somewhat near our apartment. Deep breaths and gratitude that I live where I live (though I long for the US) 'unknots' a few knots. Thanks for the poem, Michelle, and thank you, Tabatha for featuring so many great poets in your TIWYK series. :)

laurasalas said...

Such a lovely, comforting poem!

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Michelle's poem is so poignant and needed. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I think Michelle's poem will be helpful to MANY of us these days. Last time I went to the drug store, I noticed that besides gloves and masks, the shelves were empty of anxiety and insomnia supplements!

Michelle Kogan said...

Thanks Tabatha for your prompt, and for featuring my poem! To tag on to Michelle HB's comment aboveI'm thinking perhaps the stores might start stocking deep breaths… And the quote is very soothing, sometimes we just need to be held steady for a bit.

Liz Steinglass said...

Thanks Michelle and Tabatha, I can't imagine anyone doesn't need some strategies for managing anxiety at this point.

Mary Lee said...

Nature ALWAYS makes me feel better!

Joyce Ray said...

Michelle's poem is the reminder we all need to find our special place and be still. I am listening to the bird sounds right now - so comforting while the Northeast temps have kept us more indoors this past week. I may come back to this often!

jama said...

Just what I needed this week. Anxiety seems to be a constant companion these days. Thanks to you and Michelle for the comforting post.