Sunday, April 26, 2020

Relief

My life was my life; I would have to stare it down, somehow, and make it work for me.
~Paula McLain


Many thanks to Kat Apel for letting me share her TIWYK poem today.



Kat says:
This poem was inspired by my mum, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer over 7 years ago. Within two months, Mum had radical surgery to remove the tumours – and her bladder.

At the time the cystectomy was first discussed, I remember reeling, wondering how could a person live without a bladder? Now I know, you cannot just live without a bladder, but you can also love life!

Please click on the image to make it bigger...



For bladder cancer resources: CancerCare.

4 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Thank you, Kat, for this powerful poem of resilience. I admire her mum's ability to "stand up" to this frightening diagnosis.

Margaret Simon said...

I love how you structured this poem in a circular way, but also, even though you're writing about an unspeakable (toilet use), you honor your mother's resolve to just go on living. She must be as amazing as her daughter!

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

Michelle, I do, too. So proud of her fight back.
Margaret. Thank-you! That is such a beautiful compliment.
And Tabatha, thank-you for giving me space to share Mum's poem of hope and triumph.

skanny17 said...

Kat your poem is powerful. I am so happy your mum is doing so well. I love how you started and ended it. It is something we so rarely hear about. Thank you for sharing this and for Tabatha for bringing these to us even though I am late to finding them. So glad I clicked in.
Janet Clare F.