Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Thank you

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.
~Robert A. Heinlein


On September 11, 2001, we were living in a new state and I was home with our ten-day-old baby. My parents had left; my husband was back at work. I'm a pretty emotional person, and when I learned about the plane crashes, I realized that I had to find a way to hear about the overwhelming news and still be functional as a mom.

I'm reminded of that because today we look back on the horror of those losses and the bravery of the heroes, and we also feel the tug of our current responsibilities. We are in the middle of a constitutional crisis and we have to keep from being overwhelmed. We all need to VOTE. Our democracy needs us.

So I'd like to say thank you to all the people who stepped up on September 11, 2001 and to all the people who will step up this fall. What you do matters.



9/11 Health Watch
Past September 11th posts
Helplessness Management

4 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

We were visiting my parents in NY (where I grew up) about an hour's drive from the city. It was hard. My parents' neighbor was a firefighter, a good friend of theirs lost their son. Days later, I visited a friend living on the lower west side and vividly recall the stench. It was awful and ever-present reminder. You picked a great song to honor the occasion, T.

Jeanne said...

yes.

Pop said...


And it is especially important that we remember (and keep a good thought for) the responders because so many of them are now fighting a battle against medical conditions that stem from working at the scene.

This is one of my favorite Natalie Merchant songs...and very appropriate.

And definitely vote this fall!

Tabatha said...

Good point about the responders' health -- I just added a link to a group that is working on their behalf.