Thursday, September 20, 2018

Cope is helping me cope

It's funny: I always imagined when I was a kid that adults had some kind of inner toolbox full of shiny tools: the saw of discernment, the hammer of wisdom, the sandpaper of patience. But then when I grew up I found that life handed you these rusty bent old tools - friendships, prayer, conscience, honesty - and said 'do the best you can with these, they will have to do'. And mostly, against all odds, they do.
~Anne Lamott


Tabatha, you ask, when will you stop being angry at corrupt politicians? Verily, I say -- never! This week I was so spitting mad about Brett Kavanaugh that sometimes I woke up mad in the middle of the night. Dang it. Two poems:

Differences of Opinion
by Wendy Cope

1.

HE TELLS HER

He tells her that the earth is flat —
He knows the facts, and that is that.
In altercations fierce and long
She tries her best to prove him wrong.
But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win. He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.

**********

When I Rise Up
by Georgia Douglas Johnson

When I rise up above the earth,
And look down on the things that fetter me,
I beat my wings upon the air,
Or tranquil lie,
Surge after surge of potent strength
Like incense comes to me
When I rise up above the earth
And look down upon the things that fetter me.


Black tern by USFWS Mountain-Prairie

**********

The Water's Edge has the Poetry Friday round-up today. Thanks, Erin!

14 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

I wouldn't mind a whack-a-mole mallet in my toolbox so I could knock some senators up the side of the head. What are they thinking?

Thanks for sharing the poems, Tabatha. "Differences of Opinion" is perfect for this week's senate circus performance.

Michelle Kogan said...

Three superb poems as commentary to this weeks mayhem, big sigh. The last one "When I Rise Up" –I wish I could rise up like the bird… lovely image too, thanks Tabatha!

Linda Mitchell said...

Whoa that first one...gets me.
What I'm so angry about is how I'm supposed to treat "the other side" as an equal yet different opinion. I cannot. I've really had it out with a loved one recently who is a flatlander from Cope. I just cannot see how to make peace...which makes me mad and sad because I always thought "my side" was better and faster at peace. I struggle to find the humanity in the "other" side.

Irene Latham said...

Oh those rusty tools... poems are in that box, for sure. Also: this blog. Thank you, Tabatha! Wishing you sound sleep. xo

Linda B said...

My brother says he really does know a 'flatlander' & of course we all know those who believe they make "the world go round" but we won't let them, right? And no matter the rusty tools, I will fight with them & gather others, too. Thanks, Tabatha, for expressing so much of what I feel.

Jone said...

These poems are stellar for expressing the madness of the political scene. I wish you better sleep.

Erin Mauger said...

You always find good poems to share, Tabatha. Always need to find the strength to persevere (which inevitably seems to involve a fair share of detachment as well)

jama said...

Oh yes, this week was very tough and I'm soooooo angry too. Not just at K, of course, but the Senate GOP who are playing dirty pool. Cope's poem hit the spot and Johnson's is reassuring.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Do you know what I've been noticing lately? I've been waking up with tingling hands and fingers from holding such tight fists while I sleep. Guess I, too, am a member of the wake-up-angry club. Or maybe I'm unconsciously training to punch someone out.

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm with you, friend. I've been angry all week (or, oh, wait ... angry since 2016....) These poems are great choices for helping us all cope.

Jeanne said...

I've spent the week trying not to be angry but use my first impetus towards anger to get more things done. Mixed results. These poems are a good way to end the week.

jan godown annino said...

Appreciations, Tabatha for the Anne Lamott thoughts of relying on our rusty tools & for expressing what I feel.
Somehow I want to send you my sleep ability charm, because after spitting & fretting I'm able to slumber.

But I feel fortunate to be able to switch to
books/music/non-political conversation/ joy topics at about 7 p.m. every day.
It's the earlier hours when I allow myself to dwell with the proof of mans inhumanity to man.

Margaret Simon said...

"The earth goes on being round." When will he ever stop arguing about it?

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing such wise words in a week that seems devoid of it. I hope our anger is channeled in November at the ballot box and through stronger civic participation for years to come. I am over these politicians who insist the world is flat and disregard all facts and arguments that say otherwise.