Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sophie Blackall

On her Missed Connections blog, Artist Sophie Blackall posts illustrations she created to go with messages posted on "Missed Connections" sites (sites where someone describes a person they saw briefly, in the hopes that the person will contact them). Blackall says "Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down."

A White Hat of Indeterminate Origin
-m4w - 29 (Lower East Side)
I did a really bad job of trying to introduce myself on the subway. I asked about your white fur hat because I liked it, but then I didn't know what to say afterward . . . it was on the F train, from 2nd Ave to Jay St. Write me if you don't mind guys that fumble over their words when they're nervous.

Tree With Legs
-w4m (Prospect Park)
Nice pants. I'd like to see more of you...
BTW, your dog winked at me.

Anyone Know That White Girl With Black Hair & Old Fashioned Clothes?
-m4w (Throgs Neck, Edgewater)
I've seen her around Throgs Neck & Edgewater, she's gotta be in her 30s and wears older clothes. What's the deal with her? She single or what?

We Shared a Bear Suit
- m4w
We shared a bear suit at an apartment party on Saturday night.
I asked for your number and you gave it to me, but somehow I don't have an area code written down. I had a great time talking with you, and I don't trust Chance enough to wait until I see you in the elevators...

Passed You On Street, U Said Hi
- m4m (Upper West Side)
Passed by you around 11pm tonight on street, UWS in 70s. You said hi, and I said hi as well. We both went into our respective buildings.

Blackall is also illustrating episodes from her father Simon's life. This one is for "Applying for a Chinese Visa"

* An article in the NYT about Blackall's MC (which are going to be in a book, btw). Here's an NPR piece about her.
* Blackall has also illustrated books, such as Ruby's Wish and Meet Wild Boars.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Really interesting idea!

Squiggly Tire Marks said...

These are *so* cool...both the idea of connecting with another ship in the night and having that brief moment illustrated.