Tuesday, April 30, 2024

National Poetry Month wrap-up

Fairy tales were not my escape from reality as a child; rather, they were my reality -- for mine was a world in which good and evil were not abstract concepts, and like fairy-tale heroines, no magic would save me unless I had the wit and heart and courage to use it widely.
~Terri Windling


My theme for National Poetry Month was poems inspired by short stories, so each week I found a different short story and used it as a springboard. I found that, since human nature is timeless, the age of the story did not affect how relevant it was. Old stories can be viewed in fresh ways.

This could be a nice approach for teachers to support reading comprehension and critical thinking...let students pick a story (or folk tale or fable) and respond to it with a poem.

My collection:

*The Man Who Could Walk Through Walls by Marcel Aymé (Two poems)
*The Widow's Cruise by Frank Stockton (Mrs. Ducket's Adventure)
*The Changeling collected by Lady Wilde (Changeling)
*Federigo's Falcon by Giovanni Boccaccio (How to Woo a Woman)
* The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe (If I Could Write Like Poe)
* The Thousand and One Nights (Scheherazade)

This looks like a good story source : World Folklore

1 comment:

Linda B said...

I can't read right now, Tabatha, but will return to read the ones I've missed. This was such a creative project. I imagine you read others before choosing one.