Wednesday, April 17, 2024

2024 Progressive Poem

In nature we never see anything isolated, but everything in connection with something else which is before it, beside it, under it and over it.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


Hi y'all! The 2024 Progressive Poem is here for Day #18. I think this might be my 12th time contributing? Is that possible? Wow. Anyway, I think this might be the hardest. I was befuddled by what is happening. Are our kids alone, no parents? There are so many bad things that could happen to them. I didn't want to make it take a dark turn, so I had to rein in my imagination a lot. My addition is at the bottom, bolded.


cradled in stars, our planet sleeps,
clinging to tender dreams of peace
sister moon watches from afar,
singing lunar lullabies of hope.

almost dawn, I walk with others,
keeping close, my little brother.
hand in hand, we carry courage
escaping closer to the border

My feet are lightning;
My heart is thunder.
Our pace draws us closer
to a new land of wonder.

I bristle against rough brush—
poppies ahead brighten the browns.
Morning light won’t stay away—
hearts jump at every sound.

I hum my own little song
like ripples in a stream
Humming Mami’s lullaby
reminds me I have her letter

My fingers linger on well-worn creases,
shielding an address, a name, a promise–
Sister Moon will find always us
surrounding us with beams of kindness

But last night as we rested in the dusty field,
worries crept in about matters back home.
I huddled close to my brother. Tears revealed
the no-choice need to escape. I feel grown.

Leaving all I’ve ever known
the tender, heavy, harsh of home.
On to maybes, on to dreams,
on to whispers we hope could be.

But I don't want to whisper! I squeeze Manu's hand.
"¡Más cerca ahora!" Our feet pound the sand.
We race, we pant, we lean on each other
I open my canteen and drink gratefully


Catherine at Reading to the Core is next!

******************

April 1 Patricia Franz at Reverie

April 3 Janice Scully at Salt City Verse

April 4 Leigh Anne Eck at A Day in the Life

April 5 Irene at Live Your Poem

April 6 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche

April 7 Marcie Atkins

April 10 Linda Baie at Teacher Dance

April 11 Buffy Silverman

April 12 Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise

April 13 Denise Krebs at Dare to Care

April 14 Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link

April 15 Rose Cappelli at Imagine the Possibilities

April 17 Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe

April 18 Tabatha at Opposite of Indifference

April 19 Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core

April 20 Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect

April 21 Janet, hosted here at Reflections on the Teche

April 22 Mary Lee Hahn at A(nother) Year of Reading

April 23 Tanita Davis at (fiction, instead of lies)

April 24 Molly Hogan at Nix the Comfort Zone

April 25 Joanne Emery at Word Dancer

April 26 Karin Fisher-Golton at Still in Awe

April 27 Donna Smith at Mainely Write

April 28 Dave at Leap of Dave

April 29 Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge

April 30 Michelle Kogan at More Art for All

9 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

You carried on the urgency set up by Heidi. A refreshing drink stops us a minute to catch our breath. Thank you.

Rose Cappelli said...

Like Margaret, I feel the urgency. These children are not stopping. They have renewed determination.

Linda B said...

After some needed running, you gave them a break, which feels good, Tabatha. I agree; so much is ahead and could happen. It seems like you've reflected all your feelings for them.

Ruth said...

I agree - it's hard to know what will become of these children! Thanks for your lines!

Janice Scully said...

I feel the urgency after their running. I love how this is evolving!

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, the action you provided is urgent. The need to remain together is important. Thank you for adding these words, "we lean on each other". No family is leading the children on. The pause for water may be a gift from a family member they left behind. The older child understands the meaning of gratitude even in these troubling times.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I picture them with a group, since L5 includes others, and since I know that migrants often travel in large groups of singles, families, "unaccompanied minors." I picture the narrator as 10, 11, 12 and Manu more like 5,6,7. I'm very glad to know they still have water, and that they can lean on each other.
Thank you for these lines!

Denise Krebs said...

Tabatha, nice. I love the imaginings going on. Yes, like Heidi said, it's so good they have water. They recognize it's a gift to be grateful for, so maybe they don't always get to have it. Well done.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thirst… you’re keeping survival at the forefront, Tabatha. Well done.