Thursday, April 4, 2024

Federigo's Falcon

There is too little courtship in the world.
~Vernon Lee


Happy National Poetry Month! I am delighted to be celebrating poetry with you. My project this year features poems inspired by short stories.


The inspiration for today's poem was "Federigo's Falcon" by Giovanni Boccaccio (circa 1353).

In it, a young man named Federigo falls deeply in love with a woman named Monna Giovanna. I can't tell if she was already married or if she married after Federigo tried to win her heart, but he doesn't get anywhere with her even though he tries everything and spends all his money doing it.

Federigo winds up leaving the city, nearly broke, and hanging out on his farm with his falcon. Eventually, Monna Giovanna comes with her son to live on a neighboring farm after her husband dies. Her son is interested in Federigo's falcon and, when he falls ill, asks his mom to see if Federigo will give him the falcon.

Monna Giovanna doesn't want to ask for the falcon but as she thinks it might help her son recover, she goes to visit Federigo. He doesn't know the reason she has come and is thrilled. With no other suitable food to give her, he arranges for his falcon to be cooked for her supper. She discovers after dinner that she isn't going to be able to bring his falcon to her son after all. Her son tragically passes away and Monna goes back to the city.

When her brothers start encouraging her to remarry, she tells them that the only person she would consider marrying is Federigo. She explains, "I would rather have a man who needs money than money that needs a man." What luck for Federigo! He "lived with her happily the rest of his days."


My "Federigo's Falcon" poem:

Federigo on how to woo a woman

If you encounter a woman without whom
the world is an endless eclipse,
offer her everything. If you have four flowers,
offer her five and coax one more to grow.
If you have a carriage, cover the seats
with the softest blankets, hitch it to your
calmest horses. If you have a castle,
circle the moat teaching the alligators
that she is sacrosanct or send them away.
What use is a castle if she cannot enter?
If you have anything, offer it:
your time, your patience, your riches,
your poverty, your surprise, your
last friend.

*******************

Addendum: I'd like to add "Federigo" to the title of my poem. "Federigo's advice about How to woo a woman"? "How to woo a woman according to Federigo"? Suggestions welcome.

Great, thank you, Irene! I changed it to your suggestion. xo

Poems from short stories:
* Hawk Roosting by Ted Hughes inspired by "The White Haired Girl" by Gorky
* Her Kind by Anne Sexton, maybe inspired by Hans Christian Anderson (need more info!)
* If I Could Write Like Poe inspired by "The Masque of the Red Death" by Edgar Allan Poe
* Scheherazade inspired by "The Thousand and One Nights" (various)
* The Man He Killed by Thomas Hardy inspired by "The Ambuscade" by Stephen Crane
* Ulysses by Alfred, Lord Tennyson inspired by Homer's The Odyssey

*******************

Live Your Poem has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Irene!


17 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

What a cool project! I love this idea...and had NO idea that there were poems sparked by short stories such as the ones you shared. Now I know what to do with the short story I've selected. Thanks, Tabatha. You always teach me something new and cool. "If you have four flowers..." is such a great phrase and so in keeping with the theme of the story.I couldn't love your poem or your idea for April more! You could make a class of this and teach it--I hope you do.

Irene Latham said...

Tabatha, I love this! Maybe "Ferdigo, On How to Woo a Woman" ? It reminds me of my friend Pat. When you are a guest at her house, she puts you in her own room with the best sheets and the best bathtowels and the privacy...while she sleeps in the guest room. Always give the best to the people you love, not the leftovers, is her lifestyle, and it has always inspired me to give more, give better...as does your poem. Thank you! xo

jama said...

Love the poem and this project. So happy Federigo won his true love in the end. :)

Denise Krebs said...

Oh, my word. Your summary of the story took my breath away when I read the sad fact of the falcon for dinner. Wow. It did make the poem even better after I learned he did woo her, in spite of the terrible detour. I agree, I think Federigo's name should be in the title of the poem.

Linda B said...

If I have the right prompt in my goals, I'll give this a goal, Tabatha. And, I'll try to go back to read your others, too. This project is amazing and the story today is a dilemma to me. Is it a wonderful love story for Federico or a tragic one? His idea to "offer her everything" certainly shows true love, or I have to ask, does he just want his way? Love the thought-filled poem!

Buffy Silverman said...

Wait--she married him after he cooked the falcon that might have saved her son?! I'm seeing a hole in the plot-line... But I love your poem, and how cool that you snuck eclipse in there. I am partial to "How to Woo a Woman According to Federigo."

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Wow, Tabetha! What a heartbreaking, ironic story. Is it wrong that I feel the worst for the poor falcon? :( Your poem truly captures the depth of Frederigo’s love.

Michelle Kogan said...

Thanks for sharing the short story and I love the poem you created for it. I was a bit concerned when I heard they ate the Falcon but how in keeping it was with Federigo's character, and how apropos your poem with our forthcoming eclipse. I'm happy it all works out. Happy Eclipse to come Tabatha!

Alan j Wright said...

Love how you have launched your poem from the narrative of Frederigo's love story, Tabatha. To see the potential is only part of the challenge. To respond with words poetic is the greater achievement. Well done, you!

mbhmaine said...

Wow! That story is a doozie and left me feeling unsettled. It reminds me a bit of The Gift of the Magi. Your poem, on the other hand, is an utter delight. I adore the line "If you have four flowers,/offer her five and coax one more to grow." What a fantastic project!

Rose Cappelli said...

I enjoyed hearing about Frederigo and how even though he cooked the falcon, the woman saw the intent of that gesture. Your poem captured that intent and love beautifully. Thank you.

Mary Lee said...

I'm sorry, but I don't think she deserves Frederigo.

Patricia Franz said...

Such love to lose so much, to give so much... It comes through in your poem, Tabatha.

JoAnn Early Macken said...

Holy cow--what a story! I love how you've summarized it and how you've adopted his point of view for your poem. "[Y]our / last friend" gave me chills.

laurasalas said...

Tabatha, I'm not sure how I feel about the story itself. If the falcon was a friend to Federigo, then...I am not happy with Federigo. If there wasn't an emotional attachment, then okay. But your poem! It is magnificent, no matter whether I like the story or not. "endless eclipse" and "offer her five and coax one more to grow" are my very favorite bits. This is a wonder, standing alone completely without Federigo.

Robyn Hood Black said...

I'm with Molly re. Gift of the Magi, with Mary Lee about Monna Giovanna, with Laura about the poor falcon, and - Buffy just cracks me up. Your poem, however, is brilliant - the four flowers line got me like it did Linda.
Thanks for always offering endless riches over here... Happy Poetry Month! xo

Sarah Grace Tuttle said...

I really enjoyed your poem Tabatha! The phrase "without whom / the world is an endless eclipse" hits different this week, what with all the eclipse frenzy. Thank you for sharing.