Thursday, March 7, 2019

Arches

Architecture is by definition a very collaborative process.
~Joshua Prince-Ramus


For International Women's Day, I bring you: my mom. I mentioned before that I was writing poems based on my parents' artwork. This time, I started with my mom's arch collages as a springboard. I used Joyce Sidman's "Deeper Wisdom" form, which features two stanzas of three lines each, which rhyme aaa bbb and "What do ____know?" as the title and stanza openers. Each line ends with a period.


Early Morning Shade by Catherine Wingfield-Yeatts


Riverview Through Arches by Catherine Wingfield-Yeatts


Sweet Smell of Spring by Catherine Wingfield-Yeatts


WHAT DO ARCHES KNOW?

What do arches know?


Praise a keystone that is true.
Give all steady stones their due.
Show the way to somewhere new.

What do arches know?

Storms are blows you will outlast.
Avoid collapse by standing fast.
Rounded beauty's unsurpassed.

**********

Tired of peace poems from my month of peace poems yet? Hope not, because here's one more. (I used art supplies my parents gave me for Christmas to make the background.)


Reading to the Core has the Poetry Friday round-up today. Thanks, Catherine!

15 comments:

Linda B said...

Lovely to honor your mother, Tabatha. "Rounded beauty's unsurpassed." That final line can be used for her gorgeous art as well as arches. Your peace poem says all that is needed, "Rise". Thanks for both.

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

You and your family are so crazy talented. Your poem pairs beautifully with your Mom's arches.

Margaret Simon said...

Your mother's art is stunning. How wonderful that you are adding a layer of poetry. This wisdom poem speaks to the strength of arches and to the strength of women through the ages.

Irene Latham said...

These are both gorgeous, Tabatha! As is your mother's art. Those arches do have a lot to say, don't they? And the "rise rise rise" -- LOVE! xo

Ruth said...

I love your arches poem! Arches are wise...

Liz Steinglass said...

How wonderful to write a poem from your mother's paintings! You really seem to have captured the wisdom of arches.

jama said...

Wow, your mother's art is gorgeous and I love the poems you wrote!! And what a beautiful peace poem -- so uplifting, and perfect for Easter.

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

Heart! Wonderful poem (and the wisdom) that your mum's art inspired. I just love this project you have going. How talented you both are!

Linda Mitchell said...

That peace poem is a KEEPER! Love the art and words together. Not tired of peace poems at all!

Linda said...

Gorgeous art. I love your arches poem!

Michelle Kogan said...

Gorgeous post all around Tabatha! Your "Arches" poem and your Mom's art complement and expand on each other. I love the texture and color in her collages. And your second poem is stunning–both art and words, thanks for all!

Catherine Flynn said...

Tabatha, your mother's paintings are gorgeous! "Sweet Smell of Spring" is so inviting; I want to step right into that painting! Your poem captures all the beauty of these images and more. "Avoid collapse by standing fast" are words we should all take to heart. And your inspiring peace poem complements the rest of your post perfectly. Rise, Rise, Rise!

Mary Lee said...

Wow! What a family of artists! I love your mom's collages, and your poem is all kinds of perfect. I need to go back to that form...

Heidi Mordhorst said...

What do daughters know?

Art is blood run in our veins.
Ink, paint, *uaver all leave stains.
Pass it down in beauty-chains.

Gorgeous paintings, gorgeous poem.

author amok said...

These paintings are gorgeous, Tabatha. I feel like I've been introduced to your mother, at least a little bit. Joyce form is a great choice here -- structure of the arch requires a structured poetic form. I love the true keystone and the steady stones.