Thursday, June 14, 2018

In Clover

What airs outblown from ferny dells
And clover-bloom and sweet brier smells.
~John Greenleaf Whittier


Appreciating the common clover today. (I was glad to find a "Greenleaf" clover quote.)

Trifolium pratense L.
Amédée Masclef from Atlas des plantes de France, 1891

Mountain Clover
photo by J Stimp

Trifolium fragiferum fruits close up Campo de Calatrava, Spain
ohoto by Javier Martin

The Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) on a Trifolium pratense (Red Clover)
photo by Friedrich Böhringer

White Clover (Chiba, Japan, Tokyo)
photo by t-mizo

Trifolium pratense L., Trifolium medium L.
by Carl Axel Magnus Lindman

Red Clover Iced Tea

Note: I got side-tracked a bit by thinking about clovers and shamrocks. I have shamrocks that look like this:

I also have purple ones like these. So in my head I think of those as shamrocks and the stuff above as clover, except on St Patrick's Day when shamrocks are four-leaf clovers. How do you visualize shamrocks and clovers? (Also were you surprised by the clover fruits? We don't have those in my part of the world.)

1 comment:

Pop said...

The Mountain Clover is very nice...in fact, I've never seen many of the varieties you show.

Where we used to live, I once found a little patch (a circle, really) about a yard in circumference where four-leaf clovers could be found in abundance. Never figured out why they would bunch together like that, but it was cool!