Monday, May 7, 2018

Casa di Riposo per Musicisti

Of all my works, that which pleases me the most is the Casa that I had built in Milan to shelter elderly singers who have not been favoured by fortune, or who when they were young did not have the virtue of saving their money. Poor and dear companions of my life!
~Giuseppe Verdi



photo by Paolobon140

The photograph above is of the retirement home Verdi built for elderly opera singers. Isn't it marvelous? Verdi and his wife are buried on the grounds.

There was a movie made about the place:



Clearly I need to see Verdi's La Traviata. I don't understand what's going on here at all, but it is still riveting:



When I was checking to see if I had posted Verdi's music before, I found that I had posted about roses named for him.

1 comment:

Pop said...

Had no idea that Verdi was such a kind man. That wonderful retirement home seems like a hoot!

Also interesting was the fact that Tosca's Kiss was a Dustin Hoffman presentation.

And talk about memorable pieces of music...the Anvil Chorus is fantastic.