Friday, September 5, 2014

I Will Pledge With Mine



Roses by Simona

Song: to Celia [“Drink to me only with thine eyes”]
by Ben Jonson

Drink to me only with thine eyes,
     And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
     And I’ll not look for wine.
The thirst that from the soul doth rise
     Doth ask a drink divine;
But might I of Jove’s nectar sup,
     I would not change for thine.

I sent thee late a rosy wreath,
     Not so much honouring thee
As giving it a hope, that there
     It could not withered be.
But thou thereon didst only breathe,
     And sent’st it back to me;
Since when it grows, and smells, I swear,
     Not of itself, but thee.






Want one more? The Opera Babes also sing it.

The Poetry Friday round-up host is Laura at Author Amok.

15 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

I've never heard Johnny Cash sing that... thank you. :)

Karen Edmisten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky Shillington said...

Beautiful Jonson poem, Tabatha! How wonderful that it has inspired so many adaptations!

jama said...

Lovely post, T! My dad used to sing this at weddings. It was interesting to hear the different covers -- I think Johnny Cash's is my favorite. :)

Bridget Magee said...

Love the different variations, Tabatha. Always a treat to visit your blog. = )

Amy LV said...

You just find the best things and share them in the coolest way - always! Thank you, and happy PF!

Linda B said...

Love hearing this from all the different singers, Tabatha. I sang this in high school choir. Have forgotten it. My favorite close to it was She Walks In Beauty... Thank you!

Linda B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Love this poem - my husband once (when were in college - long ago!) recited it to me from memory...and all three of my kids sang it in their high school choir years. Johnny Cash, though, that's a surprise!

Diane Mayr said...

I guess Johnny Cash is a total surprise to most of us! Who knew?

Robyn Hood Black said...

I didn't know either! What a treat, Tabatha - thank you for sharing all.

GatheringBooks said...

Oh I so loved this Ben Jonson poem when I was younger - this is what love poems are all about. Enjoyed the video clips thoroughly as well - and the flowers! :)

Irene Latham said...

Oh Johnny!! Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. xo

Mary Lee said...

What a contrast to go from version to version...but the words staying the same through all these years and generations and interpretations. Ah, the power of art!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

The romance runneth over in this poem. Enjoyed all the different musical versions you found.