Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bridges

Bridges are perhaps the most invisible form of public architecture.
~Bruce Jackson



Taking a closer look at overlooked architecture today:

Severn Bridge
engraving by George J. Stodart

On the Pont de l’Europe
by Gustave Caillebotte

Blechen-Umkreis Landschaft mit Brücke

Brücke über den Barranco de las Angustias, La Palma Islas Canarias
by Neithard Horn

Part of the series One Hundred Famous Views of Edo, no. 076, part 3: Autumn
by Hiroshige

Ansicht von Brügge mit Rathaus
by August Fischer

At the Waterfall
by Anton Romako

Bridge over the Black Brook Road
by Carl Grossberg

View of the Place de l' Hotel de Ville and Notre Dame Bridge
by Charles Hoffbauer

Château d'Henri IV à Pau - Fonds Ancely
Pierre Gorse

Links:
* Bridge silhouette art lesson
* Monet-inspired bridge and water lily paintings
* Cherry blossom bridge painting video

2 comments:

HWY said...

I've always been fascinated by bridges. I love to stand on the edge in the middle and check out what I'm not standing in. ;-)

Of all these wonderful works and wonderful bridges, I have to admit that my favorite is At the Waterfall. This one shows the very essence of a bridge.

Karen Edmisten said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous collection you pulled together. I'm having trouble picking a favorite ... I want them all on my wall, all at once. :)

And the music -- lovely choice.