Monday, March 25, 2013

The Eric Whitacre Singers


Eric Whitacre, Choir Geek

I've posted Eric Whitacre stuff before. He's kind of a genius. I went with my family to hear The Eric Whitacre Singers last week and was blown away. They did a version of the national anthem that was one of the best I've ever heard (despite the fact that probably all of them but Eric are from England). I should give a shout out to soprano Elin Manahan Thomas -- she is phenomenal. If you get a chance to hear them in person, take it!


Eric Whitacre obviously reads poetry. Several of the songs the Singers perform on their latest tour were inspired by poems (by Ogden Nash, e.e. cummings, Octavio Paz, and Bob Dylan). Whitacre also elicited submissions from writers for a Christmas concert last year. The winning submissions are posted on his site. ("Christmas Cake" made me think of you, Jama...)

2 comments:

jama said...

Beautiful, Tabatha. Glad you got to hear them in person! This music is a nice soundtrack for a snowy day, and reading the Christmas Cake poem makes it feel like it's December instead of March :).

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Oh, I love Whitacre! My daughter sand Cloudburst with her choir last year, what a thing of beauty!