Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spirals

The growth of understanding follows an ascending spiral rather than a straight line.
~ Joanna Field


Lit by Immensity
photo by Stefan Perneborg

Going Down
photo by Santi

Stacked Loops: Three Flavors (The Sun)
photo by NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Credit: NASA/GSFC/SDO

There's Poetry in Dead Things
photo by Alphadesigner

Löwenkopf und Vogel am Eingang zum Erbischöflichen Ordinariat
photo by Jörgens Mi

Spiral Flower II
photo by MCLCBooks

Red Stone Spiral
photo by Jos van Wunnik

Vertige de l'Amour, Versailles
photo by Gilderic Photography

Apartment Droste
photo by Masakazu Matsumoto

* SpiralZoom, an interactive site where you can learn about about spiral patterns and how they form in nature.
* Some other info about spirals
* Spiral Minaret: The Great Mosque of Samarra, Iraq
* Math for Poets and Drummers: The Mathematics of Rhythm

4 comments:

HWY said...

Spirals are very cool. They always draw me inside them and tickle my vision.

And Fibonacci had some interesting things to say about them, too!

Author Amok said...

Hi, Tabatha! I'm teaching fibonacci poems with third graders again this spring. They had a great time combining science, math and poetry last year. In addition to Joyce Sidman's new book "Swirl by Swirl," I love "Growing Patterns" by Sarah C. Campbell.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Laura took both of the titles I was going to mention! [See? She's beating me all around this week... ;0) ] Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful images. I never tire at looking at spirals.

Robyn Hood Black said...

I meant, "tire of" looking at spirals. I'm pretty "tired at" at this moment...