Friday, June 8, 2012

A Thing Heaven-Sent

Isn't this the sweetest flower?

A round of applause to Jama for my copy of UnBEElievables by Douglas Florian, and one more to Doug Florian for allowing me to share "Summer Hummer" today!

Summer Hummer
by Douglas Florian

I'm the hummer of summer,
So busy with buzz.
A never-humdrummer
All covered with fuzz.
I’m a nectar collector.
Make wax to the max.
A beehive protector.
I never relax.
I'm a lover of clover.
A seeker of scent.
A zigzag flyover--
A thing heaven-sent.
I’m a dancer, a prancer.
My own pollen nation.
A flower enhancer.
A summer sensation.

~~~~~~~~~~

I love the wordplay in this poem, as well as its sentiment. (Confession: I have wanted my own hive for a long time now...I'm a beekeeper wanna-BEE.)

A bonus recipe from the National Honey Board:

Peanut Butter-Banana Roll-Ups

2 soft-taco size flour tortillas, white or wheat
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup honey
2 medium ripe bananas

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tortillas on baking sheet. Stir together peanut butter, cranberries, and honey until blended. Spread peanut butter mixture over tortillas to within 1/2-inch of edges. Place peeled banana on edge of each tortilla; roll up. Place each roll-up seam side down on a piece of aluminum foil*. Wrap foil around roll-ups, sealing edges all around, and place on baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is warm. * It's not necessary to heat these roll-ups; for a lunch box, simply wrap each roll-up in foil or plastic wrap to transport. Makes 2 servings.

Variations: Substitute chopped mixed dried fruit for cranberries, or sprinkle roasted peanut halves, toasted coconut or chocolate chips over peanut butter before adding banana.

Jama is our Poetry Friday host!

12 comments:

Renee LaTulippe said...

Oh, my! I have been eyeing this collection, and now I must have it. That is one of the sweetest bee poems I've ever read, and the word play is magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing that (and to Douglas for bee-ing shared)!

Author Amok said...

Wow, Tabatha. I love everything about this post. Florian's poem -- he has so much fun with rhythm and rhyme. And I am definitely going to try that recipe. Have a great weekend, my friend!

Doraine said...

Love this! Such a fun poem. Around my neck of the woods we have cacrpenter bees that drill into any piece of wood they can find--the siding on the house, the swing in the back yard--and they are so big! Somebody should write a poem about these annoying guys.

jama said...

One of my favorite bee poems ever. Leave it to Douglas. Didn't realize you want your own hive! Thanks for the buzz.

Joyce Ray said...

UnBEElievables sounds awesome. I love Summer Hummer - so playful. Thanks for the rollups recipe, too. They sound tasty.

Ruth said...

The second Douglas Florian book I've read about today. I love his work!

violet said...

What a fabulous poem! And your post, with a recipe and all, is a perfect course in Jama's delicious offering.

Linda B said...

How wonderful is the "hummer of summer". My school is starting two hives this summer and one teacher's class will be the 'managers' & learn all about it, eventually hope to see the honey for some chosen cause. They are so excited. Thanks for sharing the poem and the art, Tabatha. I will try the recipe with my granddaughter.

Tara said...

This poem has such a joyful energy. I've dreaming of bee keeping myself...perhaps someday!

Mary Lee said...

How fun to find another Florian on the Poetry Friday roundup!

GatheringBooks said...

Nice one, Tabatha! While I confess to being deathly afraid of bees, I do love honey! Hehe. And you're right the word play in Florian's poem is great - something that I think even young kids would enjoy. And it's perfect for Summer! :)

Douglas Florian said...

Hi Tabatha,
Thanx for all the buzz about my book! You're sweet as honey!
Douglas