Thursday, March 21, 2024

In the deep heart's core

[Yeats] was one of those few whose history is the history of their own time, who are a part of the consciousness of an age which cannot be understood without them.
~T.S. Eliot


Happy Poetry Friday, all! Sharing some photos from last Sunday. We celebrated Irish poet William Butler Yeats during St. Patrick's Day. I couldn't forget the Irish women, so I also brought out a St Brigid's cross and my wee St Dymphna.

We had cream cheese scones with lemon curd, sandwiches (egg salad, cucumber, and chicken), pasta salad, strawberries, brie with black currant preserves, and Irish potato candy.
Paul Thompson graciously recorded Yeats poems for us. Here are "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" and "Where My Books Go" (lesser known, but a favorite of mine).

Where My Books go
by W.B. Yeats

All the words that I utter,
And all the words that I write,
Must spread out their wings untiring,
And never rest in their flight,
Till they come where your sad, sad heart is,
And sing to you in the night,
Beyond where the waters are moving,
Storm-darken’d or starry bright.



The Lake Isle of Innisfree
by William Butler Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.



Do you have a favorite Yeats poem? For many people it might be "He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven" or "When You Are Old":



***********

Imagine the Possibilities has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Rose!

Addendum: here's an Irish potato candy recipe (I bought them already made).

16 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Tabatha, thank you for reminding me how much I love Yeats. That reading of When You are Old is especially beautiful. As I listened to all three I reached for my copy of Yeats Collected Poems and will be dipping into it - I have been reading poems over breakfast each morning instead of scrolling and this will be a treat.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you for sharing these Irish blessings, Tabatha!

Linda B said...

Your celebration sounds wonderful, Tabatha. Sorry I couldn't come! Te he! Thanks for sharing the beauty of listening to Yeats' words, a special start to my day!

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks for sharing the Irish bounty, Tabatha! Hearing Yeats read aloud is a treat. Speaking of treats...Irish potato candy? Who knew? :)

Patricia Franz said...

Such a great Irish feast, Tabatha! How I would've loved to partake of yours; instead, I was raised on corned beef and cabbage every 3/17! Boo! (And I LOVE Cillian Murphy!!)

jama said...

What a delicious tea spread. Love the recitations (thanks, Paul)! Nice to hear Yeats again -- such a perfect way to celebrate St. Paddy's Day. Thanks for all the goodness!

Janice Scully said...

What a treat these readings are. I sent your post off to a friend who I know will love them. Thank you, Tabatha. By the way, your table of treats looks delicious!

Sarah Grace Tuttle said...

This is lovely Tabatha-- thank you for sharing! Your feast looks delicious.

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

I am intrigued by Irish Potato Candy! Whatever could that be? I will have to research that and learn more. Yeats is so beautiful when read aloud. Thank you for sharing!

Mary Lee said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic celebration!

Michelle Kogan said...

Gosh that reading by Cillian Murphy is gorgeous, the music and scene added to the beauty! Looks like a truly lovely celebration you shared, thanks for sharing the pics!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Now THAT's the way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! (Although the annual party we attend that includes lamb stew for 100 people is also good.) What the heck is Irish Potato Candy??

GatheringBooks said...

Such beautiful videos here - there is something about poetry being read aloud that stirs the soul.
William Butler Yeats is an absolute favourite, and these lines:
"I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core."
How timeless.
Have a great weekend, dear Tabatha!

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, what a treat your provided this morning. I listened to all the audios as I sank into peacefulness. Thank you for the wonders of voice and poetry.

Karen Edmisten said...

It is too, too hard to pick a favorite Yeats poem, but you mentioned some of my favorites, for sure. And I love St. Brigid and St. Dymphna. ❤️

Aviator said...

Your blog is a reservoir of practical knowledge and insights. Unlock hidden secrets of the Aviator game through our blog.