Thursday, November 30, 2023

Read this book

Love! Love! Love! that is the soul of genius.
~Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin


Happy Poetry Friday! This time of year, I am very present-centric. I have a homemade gift for my parents that feels impossible to finish, but I am hoping to enlist help (from Ben). I've been thinking about presents, giving thanks, thinking about giving. Which brings us to today's poem by Alberto Ríos. I shared it five years ago, but you don't mind, do you?

When Giving Is All We Have
by Alberto Ríos

              One river gives
              Its journey to the next.


We give because someone gave to us.
We give because nobody gave to us.

We give because giving has changed us.
We give because giving could have changed us.

We have been better for it,
We have been wounded by it—

Giving has many faces: It is loud and quiet,
Big, though small, diamond in wood-nails.

Its story is old, the plot worn and the pages too,

read the rest here

***************

Anastasia Suen has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Anastasia!

13 comments:

Denise Krebs said...

Oh, yes, we don't mind at all. What a beautiful poem, and I'm sure it's inspiration for you to finish that homemade gift. All the best with that! (I've got a couple I'm working on too, so I'm pulling for all of the gift givers!) I so love the title of Rios' poem.

Michelle Kogan said...

Thanks Tabatha for sharing and giving us Rios’ full and rich poem, that fills us inside and makes us feel whole— love the ending too! xox

Patricia Franz said...

Love Rios' poem - all of his work, actually. Such a welcome reminder this time of year! Thanks Tabatha.

Linda B said...

I have this poem in a file, still love the opening 4 lines most, Tabatha. Isn't it wonderful that he wrote of a river giving? I've started the gift ideas but it's a long road, isn't it? Boxes have been brought up for decorating this weekend and as I do, thinking, thinking of everyone & what they might like. Have a merry time these coming weeks!

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Tabetha, I had not read “When Giving Is All We Have” before, so I am glad that you shared it – a lovely reminder of the ways to give and that giving can create a whole that is more than the sum of its parts. Thank you for sharing and good luck with your projects!

mbhmaine said...

Those beginning lines pulled me immediately into the flow of this wonderful poem. "One river gives/Its journey to the next." Perfection. I'm so glad you shared this poem again today. I've barely stepped into the river of giving this year and definitely feel the current picking up speed! I love that you're making gifts for others--the best giving of all! Your post and this poem remind me of the significance of thoughtful giving, in all its iterations. Maybe that will help me change my starting-to-feel-a-wee-bit-frantic lens. Thanks!

Mary Lee said...

You share the best poems by Albert Rios! One of my luc bats was inspired by lines of his you shared! Thanks for giving us these words and thanks for your creative spirit.

Janice Scully said...

Wonderful poem! The most meaningful thing about Christmas is giving and the best thing to focus on in the midst of all the noise. Thanks Tabatha. I plan to sew something for my son and his wife and I have to get going!

Linda Mitchell said...

Nope! Don't mind a bit. This is a fabulous poem. It covers all the bases. Giving is such a human thing to do.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you for sharing the new-to-me poem. Beautiful!

laurasalas said...

Thank you, Tabatha. Clicking through to the poem and savoring those final five lines--lovely way to start a morning. Good luck finishing your parents' present!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thank you, Tabatha, for sharing again - beautiful. And you are always an example of generosity (& creative giving) to me! Let's December on...!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

That poem is like a seminal text for being human.Simple green. Thank you for all your gifts!