Thursday, September 7, 2023

Stained Glass Ships

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky;
and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
~John Masefield


For Art Thursday, stained glass ships. I love The Viking Ship by Edward Burne-Jones. According to Wikipedia:
In the studio of Morris and Co. Burne-Jones worked as a designer of a wide range of crafts, including ceramic tiles, jewellery, tapestries, and mosaics. Among his most significant and lasting designs are those for stained glass windows, the production of which was a revived craft during the 19th century. His designs are still to be found in churches across the UK, with examples in the US and Australia.

The Viking Ship
by Edward Burne-Jones
photo by Ad Meskens

Stained glass window
Catholic parish church of St. Nicholas in Kuechenheim, execution: Glasmalrei Oidtmann in Linnich, 1910
photo by Reinhardhauke

Parish Church of Saint Apollinare
photo by Lisa Veronesi

Stained glass window depicting a galley, Palais Jacques-Cœur in Bourges
photo by GFreihalter

Stained glass window in the Passy cemetery in Paris, grave: unnamed
photo by GFreihalter

2 comments:

HWY said...

I, too, loved The Viking Ship. Such movement! (Also wondered about the significance of the boar in the sail.)

Interesting that there is a stained glass window in a Paris cemetery.

Linda B said...

I love these, Tabatha, have a grand-niece who does stained glass work & I'll share with her. Also, I just finished David Grann's The Wager, a ship adventure like no other I've ever read!