Thursday, September 14, 2023

Landing softly at your feet

Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one's hand.
~Ezra Pound


I wanted to use today's poem as a mentor poem but I struggled. Couldn't pick a topic, couldn't dig deep enough to come up with something I liked. Rooney's descriptions are so perfect. I probably need to try again outside.


Six Facts About Light
By Rachel Rooney from My Life as a Goldfish and other poems

At dawn, she climbs over the horizon
to slink between the curtains
and rest her head on your pillow.

You might meet her in a forest gap
growing foxgloves,
or waiting at the exit of a long, concrete tunnel.

Her gaze could scorch your drawings,
set light to the hay,
blind inquisitive eyes...

read the rest here

****************

Imagine the Possibilities has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Rose!

Addendum! I have been getting Dracula Daily, which I am enjoying very much. In fact, I didn't receive one today and I'm like, "What's going on?? Why won't they tell me??" You'll have to wait until May if you want to try it from the beginning.
In January, I'll be starting War and Peace, a chapter a day with Simon Haisell. I heard about that from Kortney Garrison. If anybody else wants to join me, I'd love company!

16 comments:

maryecronin said...

She can bounce off a full moon
and land softly at your feet
before you have counted to two.

...Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it, Tabatha. Happy Friday!

Irene Latham said...

Dear Tab, this poem goes right in ye ol' inspiration journal (as so many of your offerings do!). Thank you! xo

Denise Krebs said...

Oh, Tabatha, I like the idea of the light as a her and bouncing "off a full moon and land[ing] softly at your feet" How beautiful. Yes, maybe going outside will help inspire you to write some magical facts about something beautiful.

Linda B said...

Each part is a wonder, Tabatha. This is so, so lovely. I could pick a favorite from each stanza. Ah, that 'forest gap" and the ending, perfection. I do understand why it would be fun to try with your own topic, but also why it will be hard to find a new path. Thanks, like always, for finding something new for us to ponder.

Janice Scully said...

Rooney's reading of her poem is lovely to listen to. I love that at dawn she climbs over the horizon and slinks between the curtains. Great beginning. Thanks, Tabatha.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Well, that's gorgeous. Thank you for always enLIGHTening us with your curating... - brilliant!

Alan j Wright said...

Rachel Rooney's poem is superb, Tabatha. I can easily understand why it held such appeal for you. Thanks for bringing this to light...

Heidi Mordhorst said...

*breath of delight, longing, admiration*
I can see why you wanted to follow this mentor. Do try again. I love that these stanzas are presented as "facts."
I also delighted in learning that there are many who revel in the slow read. I cannot but read slow, even though I read fast. Found my way to this and thought "oh, I am free." https://footnotesandtangents.substack.com/p/footnotes-2-an-invitation-to-read?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

Linda Mitchell said...

From slinking between the curtains--so sexy! To blinking in the dark--so caught unaware, this is Light. This is who light is and how I see her. LOVE this poem. It's a great mentor poem. But, I don't know if I could do it justice.

Mary Lee said...

I can see what you mean about using this poem as a mentor text...and failing because it's so perfect!

This poem goes perfectly with Tracy's "look closely" post!

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, thank you for the gift of this poem that lit up my morning. The imagery was striking and yes perhaps you can find words to rest on your journal. Have fun with War and Peace that I never seemed to finish.

Carol Labuzzetta said...

Ooh, this is special, Tabatha! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'll have to save this post from you - like Irene said, it is inspiring. I really like the line "You might meet her in a forest gap" this was something I witnessed in the Redwood forest. Nice.

laurasalas said...

Oh, thank you for sharing this. What a cool mentor poem, indeed. Or just one to treasure. xo

mbhmaine said...

Oh, I just love this poem! I love the tension between the title and the content, and that content--wow! The light imagery is so creative and evocative! You always introduce me to the best poems!

Patricia Franz said...

You've given us a great poetry prompt with this mentor poem: 6 facts about [fill in the blank]. Thank you Tabatha!

Michelle Kogan said...

Wow, wonderful, love light's ending with the beginning of an idea–and the reading added to it, thanks Tabatha!