Thursday, April 20, 2023

Sniff shop: closed

We have five million smell-sensitive cells in our nose, [animals] have two hundred and fifty million - they can smell emotion. They can smell different types of emotion, they just have another type of intelligence.
~Mike Mills


Happy Poetry Friday! I considered a bunch of poems to share, but they were a bit more serious than I wanted. Maybe because Ariana's medicine was *finally* approved today?! It was a long wait!

So I rummaged through poems I'd written during Laura's February project and found one about noses.


Could you smell this?

Does this smell bad, he asks,
passing me a container of salad dressing.
I hesitate, anticipating a
rancid blast,
  but
it's fine.
We play "does this smell bad"
like kids during recess,

not to say with joy,
but with regularity
because his nose checked out
of the smelling business,
turned in its detection license,
closed up the sniff shop,
long enough ago
that I've had a chance
to figure out

what's that smell
   is this fresh
      is something burning
   does this stink
  is this spicy
     did it mildew
& the fundamental
question:
is this still good?

************

P.S. Not being able to smell IS serious, but most of the other poems I'd read were by Sudanese poets so this one felt relatively light.

Karen Edmisten has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Karen!

13 comments:

Denise Krebs said...

Tabatha, I'm so glad the medicine was finally approved. Relief. My husband and I were recently talking about people whose noses have:
"...checked out
of the smelling business,
turned in its detection license,
closed up the sniff shop"

There can be some serious dangers lurking, so I'm glad you are there to be his backup sniffer.

Bridget Magee said...

Your poem makes total scents, Tabatha. ;)
Yay for Adriana's medicine approval!

jama said...

Interesting poem; great opening quote! Yes, noses and the sense of smell are very important. Len says I have exceptional olfactories. :)

laurasalas said...

Tabatha--lovely to read one of your own poems this week! And so happy that your daughter's medication was approved! Happy dancing :>)

Linda Mitchell said...

Ha! This is a very serious condition as smell helps us survive--but your added just enough comedy for me to laugh, ha! with your last line. What an interesting life you live, Tabatha!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

HOORAY for movement on the medication!!! I believe I missed this poem during a February, and how I love it. Yes, this is still good.

Mary Lee said...

I loved this poem in February, and I still love it now! (My prompt, for the win!! :-)

Robyn Hood Black said...

Agreed - love reading one of your original poems
(smells sweet to me!) and since I missed Ariana's, I enjoyed (with frustration for her and you all!) reading her clever and ridiculous-because-it's-true found poem. So glad to hear the medicine she needs finally got approved. Good grief!

Ruth said...

I'm so thankful she's getting her medicine, finally. And we're thinking a lot about Sudan here too (a near neighbor). Thanks for your smell poem. I just said to my husband this morning that I don't know how he can have such a bad sense of smell. I get all the delights of the rotten smells and he's oblivious!

Karen Edmisten said...

"Long wait" seems like an understatement on the med! Wow. Beyond frustrating. I'm so glad she's finally getting it!

Had to laugh at "closed up the sniff shop" ... I have a similar dilemma and have a hugely diminished sense of smell (after a sinus infection about 25 years ago.) It stinks. (Though *I* can't detect the stink.) :D

Catherine Flynn said...

Not being able to smell is no joke, but you made me laugh anyway! I'm glad your daughter's medication was approved.

Patricia Franz said...

Aww, I like how you put a positive scent on something so serious. I was just studying about Lesser long-nosed bats and had to laugh because I was expecting quite a long nose and found it's all relative. I think these mammals pretty much dive headlong into night-blooming cacti, tongue, nose, face, and all.

Michelle Kogan said...

Yay for Ariana’s medicine approval!!! I remember and enjoyed your olfactory poem, thanks for sharing it again!