Monday, April 24, 2023

Progressive Poem line #24 from Janet

The creative act is a letting down of the net of human imagination into the ocean of chaos on which we are suspended, and the attempt to bring out of it ideas.
~Terence McKenna


Hi folks! If you want to send 1-5 poems to a fellow poetry fan over the course of the summer, please consider signing up for the Summer 2023 Poem Swap! It keeps you writing, it gives you delights in your mailbox. I'll post more about it on Friday or you can write me at tabatha@tabathayeatts.com.


Now, I'll turn over the blog to Janet:


First I must thank my poetry friend, Tabatha Yeatts, for volunteering to host blogless me so I could participate again this year. I feel a kinship with all the current and previous Poetry Friday bloggers. I am mainly an appreciative commenter who shares in the joy of poetry and loves to be a guest blogger. (My name appears as Janet Clare F.or some form of that and I am Janet Clare on fb, so please friend me if you like.) I have participated in the Progressive Poem for all but two of the past years. I always look forward to seeing how the poem flows throughout the month. Here is the #PP2023 background for those who may be visiting for the first time.

Welcome to the Progressive Poem! Irene Latham began this tradition in 2012 and hosted until 2019. (Early archives here.) Margaret Simon took the reins in 2020. (Recent archives are tabs at the top of her page.) Thank you for creating and continuing this annual event, Irene and Margaret.

The rules are few: “The poem will be passing from blog to blog with each poet-blogger adding a line. The poem is for children. Other than that, anything goes.” Each blogger will copy the previous lines exactly as written (unless permission from the previous poet is obtained) and add their line, including commentary on their process if they wish.

Thanks to Catherine at Reading to the Core for her wonderful line from yesterday!! Yummy nutcakes and tea, I am hungry already and my senses are filled with the scent of the garden and a delicious mid-day tea. My line is in bold at the end!

Suddenly everything fell into place
like raindrops hitting soil and sinking in.

When morning first poked me, I’d wished it away
my mind in the mist, muddled, confused.

Was this a dream or reality, rousing my response?
The sun surged, urging me to join in its rising,

Rising like a crystal ball reflecting on morning dew.
I jumped out of bed, ready to explore the day.

My feet pull me outside and into the garden
Where lilies and bees weave…but wait! What’s that?

A bevy of bunnies jart and dart and play in the clover.
A dog barks and flash, the bunderstorm is over.

I breathe-brave, quiet. Like a seed,
as the day, foretold in my dream, ventured upon me.

Sunbeams guided me to the gate overgrown with wisteria
where I spotted the note tied to the gate.

As I reached the gnarled gate, pollen floated like fairy dust into my face.
Aaah Choo!
Enter, if you must. We’ve been waiting for you.

Not giving the curious note a thought, I pushed the gate open and ran through.
Stopped in my tracks, eyes wide in awe- can this really be true?

Huge mushrooms for tables, vines twined into chairs,
A flutter of fairies filled flowery teawares.

With glazed nut cakes and apple blossom tea,
I heard soft whispers from behind a tree. Oh my! They had been “waiting for me!”


And on we go to my friend Ruth at There is no Such Thing as a God-Forsaken Town.

npm 23 progressive poem remaining dates

April 25 Ruth, There is no Such Thing as a God-Forsaken Town

April 26 Patricia J. Franz, Reverie

April 27 Theresa Gaughan, Theresa's Teaching Tidbits

April 28 Karin Fisher-Golton, Still in Awe Blog

April 29 Karen Eastlund, Karen’s Got a Blog

April 30 Michelle Kogan Illustration, Painting, and Writing


15 comments:

Catherine Flynn said...

And the mystery continues...Can't wait to see who's waiting behind the tree!

Margaret Simon said...

This is feeling mysterious and exciting. Who are they? Why have they been waiting. We are in the home stretch...

Carol Varsalona said...

Janet, your line leads us into another mystery and I look forward to the unwinding of our delightful PP. It has been a truly magical journey.

Linda B said...

What? More to wonder about, Janet! With one week left, this ending time will be such fun to imagine. Love that there are others to meet!

Gail Aldous said...

Janet, I love your mysterious addition. I wonder where it will lead the next poet. This is exciting and fun! Thank you.

Karin Fisher-Golton said...

I like the mystery and possibility of the soft whispers.

Patricia Franz said...

Soft whispers...I love the dreamy invitation!

Denise Krebs said...

Thank you, Tabatha, for hosting Janet. And Janet, what a great line! I love that our character gets to do something more. S/he isn't just an observer!

skanny17 said...

Thank you, Denise. I was thinking our person was really supposed to be the one called in the note, so I thought....well we'll have maybe nice garden dwellers eager to see him/her....who knows. It's fun but a challenge wondering if your line captures something that takes our poem to a useful place. Given our last poets I am betting yes.

skanny17 said...

I am glad soft whispers called to you, too, Patricia. Thank you.

skanny17 said...

Hi Gail! Thank you. That line spoke to me. The yummy cakes and tea, a place for he/she hopefully nothing to fear but who knows!!! We shall see.

skanny17 said...

I hope my addition was on target. And with enough time to figure it out. I do have great faith in this process and those soft whispers intrigued me. Eager to read Ruth's. Thanks, Linda.

skanny17 said...

Carol, the garden is inhabited by whom? I haven't a clue! But it seems there are two or more chairs and lovely cakes and tea. It all makes us wonder. I've always been before the15th or close. And each year I hope I have made the right choice!!! And in the end it works and it's fun!!! Your line brought us in and we shall see. Thank you for commenting.

skanny17 said...

Hi Margaret. Are you have your students follow along? I wonder what Ashlyn might say. Am eager to read more!

skanny17 said...

Me, too and I hope they happily munch on the nutcakes and sip tea with glee!!