Monday, April 3, 2023

Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem 2023, #3

Hello everyone and welcome!
The Progressive Poem rules are few: “The poem will be passing from blog to blog with each poet-blogger adding a line. The poem is for children. Other than that, anything goes.”

Mary Lee kicked the poem off with "Suddenly everything fell into place" explaining, "I love stories that start at the end, so here you go. Write me a story that ends with sudden clarity."

Heidi followed it up with "like raindrops hitting soil and sinking in."

I felt like it was my job to transport the story to the beginning. I thought about what might happen to a young person before things fell into place, before the raindrops hit soil and sank in. I pictured someone who might be facing something new, struggling through a challenge that seems overwhelming.

Which brings me to today's line:

When morning first poked me, I'd wished it away

As it stands:

Suddenly everything fell into place
like raindrops hitting soil and sinking in.

When morning first poked me, I'd wished it away


Buffy Silverman has the next line.

npm 23 progressive poem

April 1 Mary Lee Hahn, Another Year of Reading

April 2 Heidi Mordhorst, My Juicy Little Universe

April 3 Tabatha, The Opposite of Indifference

April 4 Buffy Silverman

April 5 Rose Cappelli, Imagine the Possibilities

April 6 Donna Smith, Mainely Write

April 7 Margaret Simon, Reflections on the Teche

April 8 Leigh Anne, A Day in the Life

April 9 Linda Mitchell, A Word Edgewise

April 10 Denise Krebs, Dare to Care

April 11 Emma Roller, Penguins and Poems

April 12 Dave Roller, Leap Of Dave 

April 13 Irene Latham Live Your Poem 

April 14 Janice Scully, Salt City Verse

April 15 Jone Rush MacCulloch

April 16 Linda Baie TeacherDance

April 17 Carol Varsalona, Beyond Literacy Link

April 18 Marcie Atkins

April 19 Carol Labuzzetta at The Apples in My Orchard 

April 20 Cathy Hutter, Poeturescapes

April 21 Sarah Grace Tuttle at Sarah Grace Tuttle’s Blog, 

April 22 Marilyn Garcia

April 23 Catherine at Reading to the Core

April 24 Janet Fagal, hosted by Tabatha, The Opposite of Indifference

April 25 Ruth, There is no Such Thing as a God-Forsaken Town

April 26 Patricia J. Franz, Reverie

April 27 Theresa Gaughan, Theresa's Teaching Tidbits

April 28 Karin Fisher-Golton, Still in Awe Blog

April 29 Karen Eastlund, Karen’s Got a Blog

April 30 Michelle Kogan Illustration, Painting, and Writing


13 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

Intriguing line, Tabatha! I look forward to how this poem unfolds. :)

Margaret Simon said...

Most days when morning pokes, I wish it away, but not today. A poem woke me up and I had to get up to write it and to see where you were taking us. Great line! And thanks for the wall of poems. I plan to print them at school and get my students involved in decorating and hanging them.

Catherine Flynn said...

Your line is so relatable and opens up so many possibilities. Well done, Tabatha!

Rose Cappelli said...

“Poked” makes me think of an urgency in the waking. I wonder why?

Janice Scully said...

I have a hint of setting here. Your line moves the poem forward.

Michelle Kogan said...

Love your thoughts on creating your line, and being able to wish a difficult challenge away, how liberating—wonderful, thanks Tabatha!

Michelle Kogan said...

Love your thoughts on creating your line, and being able to wish a difficult challenge away, how liberating—wonderful, thanks Tabatha!

Mary Lee said...

Brilliant! Thanks for providing a start!

Ruth said...

Love it!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

i LOVE THE WAY THE CHALLENGE IS SO FAR JUST "MORNING"--BOTH FAMILIAR AND BENINGN, BUT ALSO POSSIBLY HOLDING DREAD. Nice one, Tabatha, and sorry for all the caps...cat on the keyboard!

Linda B said...

Nice, you've offered the looking back, now what is it about? I like reading your thoughts, too, Tabatha.

skanny17 said...

Yes to this line, Tabatha, that makes us wonder, opens possibilities and brings some tension to the page. Oh where will this poem meander and maybe fly?
Janet Clare F.

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, I followed your insightful thinking that brought voice to the character. I wished it away leads readers like me to want more. I look forward to ready Buffy's next line.