Thursday, August 20, 2020

The definition of genius

There was earth inside them, and they dug.
~Paul Celan


A prose poem by Claudia Rankine:



Don't Let Me Be Lonely [Mahalia Jackson is a genius.]
by Claudia Rankine

Mahalia Jackson is a genius. Or Mahalia Jackson has genius. The man I am with is trying to make a distinction. I am uncomfortable with his need to make this distinction because his inquiry begins to approach subtle shades of racism, classism, or sexism. It is hard to know which. Mahalia Jackson never finished the eighth grade, or Mahalia's genius is based on the collision of her voice with her spirituality. True spirituality is its own force. I am not sure how to respond to all this. I change the subject instead.

We have just seen George Wein's documentary, Louis Armstrong at Newport, 1971. In the auditorium a room full of strangers listened to Mahalia Jackson sing "Let There Be Peace on Earth" and stood up and gave a standing ovation to a movie screen. Her clarity of vision crosses thirty years to address intimately each of us. It is as if her voice has always been dormant within us, waiting to be awakened, even though "it had to go through its own lack of answers, through terrifying silence, (and) through the thousand darknesses of murderous speech."

Perhaps Mahalia, like Paul Celan, has already lived all our lives for us. Perhaps that is the definition of genius. Hegel says, "Each man hopes and believes he is better than the world which is his, but the man who is better merely expresses this same world better than the others." Mahalia Jackson sings as if it is the last thing she intends to do. And even though the lyrics of the song are, "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me," I am hearing, Let it begin in me.

************

Rankine makes a reference to Paul Celan, so I looked him up.
Celan, who was Jewish, was born in Romania in 1920.
On his way to France to study medicine, Celan was in Berlin during Kristallnacht.
Back in Romania, he was forced into labor during WWII (where, among other things, he was tasked with destroying Russian books).
His parents lost their lives in an internment camp.
He was a polyglot who translated literature from Romanian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Hebrew, and English into German.
Celan said, “There is nothing in the world for which a poet will give up writing, not even when he is a Jew and the language of his poems is German."

With a changing key,
You unlock the house where
The snow of what’s silenced drifts.
Just like the blood that bursts from
Your eye or mouth or ear,
So your key changes.

Changing your key changes the word
That may drift with flakes.
Just like the wind that rebuffs you,
Clenched round your word is the snow.
― Paul Celan

Two more quotes:

“Spring: trees flying up to their birds”
― Paul Celan

“you're rowing by wordlight”
― Paul Celan

***************

Pleasures from the Page has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Ramona!

12 comments:

Linda B said...

Well, interesting about Rankine's Mahalia Jackson. Someone mentioned her today so I looked on You Tube & listened to some of her songs, loved especially "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" but they are all powerful. That new poet referenced, Celan, wow! I am wondering about that "changing key", how to enter if it is changing? And I love the quotes, too, Tabatha. Time for me to look him up, too! Thank you!

Irene Latham said...

Beautiful, beautiful. So glad you looked up Celan and shared those words with us. I'll be thinking about changing key today. xo

Robyn Hood Black said...

Wow - such a rich post today, Tabatha, as yours always are. I haven't heard Mahalia Jackson's glorious voice in a while - thank you. And I was curious about Paul Celan, too - thanks for looking him up. What an amazing person he was. -- "you're rowing by wordlight" - will illuminate my steps indefinitely. Thank you again!

michelle kogan said...

I like "you're rowing by wordlight" too, it illuminates all of me, and I definitely want to read more by Paul Celan, "There was earth inside them, and they dug–"such imagery I see from this! Yes a very rich post, thanks Tabatha, for Claudia Rankine, and the moving Mahalia Jackson–who I know from my childhood and my father's records.

Ramona said...

Such beautiful music to share with us. I clicked on it and both grandsons, 3 and 1, stopped their play to listen. And the two Celan quotes are going in my notebook. Thanks for your post.

Ruth said...

Tabatha, you always introduce us to new people and ideas! I love the "wordlight."

Linda Mitchell said...

My goodness what gems here to read, to ponder. This post is a keeper, Tabatha. I don't know the answer to the question...to have genius or to be genius. It' likely in the eye of the beholder like so many things. I do love learning about Celan and hearing Jackson. We can all do with more wordlight these days. Thanks!

mbhmaine said...

Wow, Tabatha, those Paul Celan quotes and his poem stopped me in my tracks. Thanks for the introduction.

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, this post is filled with inspiration. I do love Mahalia Jackson but the others you quoted I did not know about. I think the spring quote is so beautiful and the others, too. Wordlight is a glorious word.

Catherine Flynn said...

Thank you for this entire post, Tabatha! It is filled with reminders that we are not the first to live through dark days. As others have mentioned, "rowing by wordlight" is a phrase to live by.

Janice Scully said...

This is a wonderful post. I loved listening to Mahalia Jackson, reading Celan's words and Rankine's poem with the thoughts about genius. Thank you and stay safe.

Margaret Simon said...

Mahalia Jackson was a force. I remember her as being the one to tell Martin Luther King, Jr. to tell them about his dream which led to the iconic words, "I have a dream."
Claudia Rankine has come across my radar a few times lately. Andy Schoenborn used a poem of hers as a prompt on Ethical ELA this week. http://www.ethicalela.com/august-openwrite-your-weather/
I feel my world opens up when I read your posts. Thanks!