Monday, August 31, 2020

Avalon Jazz Band

Trenet said that he had written an initial version of the song's lyrics as a poem at the age of 16, many years before he came up with a tune for it. The tune came to him while he was traveling by train in 1943 between Montpellier and Perpignan as he was gazing out of the window at the Étang de Thau, a lagoon in the south of France.
~Wikipedia's entry about "La Mer"


Avalon Jazz Band for Music Monday:



I'm fairly sure I've posted La Mer before, but I'm also fairly sure you can't have too many La Mers. (Is that the plural? I'm not too sure about that...)



2 comments:

Pop said...

Always enjoyed La Mer...ever since I heard Bobby Darin's version (Beyond the Sea) when I was a young teenager (yes, I'm *that* old ;-).

Interesting that the Avalon Jazz Band featured a completely different line-up except for the vocalist in the two videos.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

:) Perfect.