Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Startled


Buttercups by James Bowe

On the Shady Side
by Rabindranath Tagore

I lived on the shady side of the road and watched my neighbours’
gardens across the way reveling in the sunshine.

I felt I was poor, and from door to door went with my hunger.

The more they gave me from their careless abundance
the more I became aware of my beggar’s bowl.

Till one morning I awoke from my sleep at the sudden opening of my door,
and you came and asked for alms.

In despair I broke the lid of my chest open and
was startled into finding my own wealth.

4 comments:

Michelle Kogan said...

Beautiful poem and I love the field of buttercups too, thanks Tabatha! xo

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks for sharing Tagore's poem, Tabatha. Makes my rethink my feelings of "lack". Hmm... :)

Molly Hogan said...

Beautiful juxtaposition of photo and poem. I love how the poem makes you crack open thoughts on "wealth." Thanks!

Ruth said...

<3