Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Ikigai

In a survey of 2,000 Japanese men and women conducted by Central Research Services in 2010, just 31% of recipients considered work as their ikigai.
~Yukari Mitsuhashi


This week I heard about the Japanese concept of "ikigai" (pronounced ee-kee-guy) which means "reason for being."

This video can be helpful for people who are trying to figure out what they want to do professionally. It follows a Venn diagram that is contrary to the Japanese concept, though, because it has you getting paid for your ikigai -- as you see from the top quote, it doesn't always work that way.


One thing that struck me in this video was his suggestion to remember what you liked to do from ages 7-11 because those activities are things you truly love.

When I was that age, I liked to write, make puzzles, and design my dream house. My dream house had four floors and soo many rooms, including a fountain room, an ice cream room, a costume room, and a volcano room. I guess I haven't changed that much, but I would leave out the volcano now.

An ikigai diagram variant from Sloww:


You can try out the more traditional (job-related) Ikigai worksheet from Jos Nierop.

2 comments:

Pop said...

Aw, come on, you'd leave out your volcano room? Just call it a sauna and enjoy. ;-)

It is definitely a good idea to think back upon what you liked to do when you were that age. That part of you is an integral part of your core.

Karen Eastlund said...

Thank you for posting these picture of Lake George... the O'Keefe ones in particular are wondrous.
Also, I must say I'm jealous that you thought of an ice cream room... why didn't I???... and I have enjoyed thinking about what I loved as a child. I had my own word for ice cream... cheebum. Who knows why?