Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Remedies for Winter Air

Then comes Winter, with bluster and snow,
That brings to our cheeks the ruddy glow...
~Gertrude Tooley Buckingham


Cold weather can really throw my son's health for a loop. Recently when the air turned chilly, he started feeling it in his lungs. Dry winter air can be challenging on lots of health-related fronts. Today for Wellness Wednesday, we're thinking about what we can do to keep from being too affected by it.

My hope was that I could name things that wouldn't be too expensive, but the first thing I feel like I should say is...consider getting a humidifier. You can also heat up water and breathe in the steam.

A cheap thing that Dash does is drink caffeinated drinks. Caffeine is a bronchodilator, so it helps loosen up his lungs when they are feeling tight.

More suggestions I've run across:
* Wear a scarf.
* Keep your mouth shut when you're outside (and breathe through your nose).
* Get a flu shot.
* My least favorite suggestion: take shorter, cooler showers. Hot ones can dry out your skin (although they are nice for your lungs).
* Use gentle cleansers and follow them up with lotions or creams.
* Have indoor plants.

More tips (and an adorable bird):





7 DIY Skincare Recipes for Fall/Winter

1 comment:

HWY said...

Every winter I suffer from dry, cracked finger tips. Has been a problem for years and I tried a lot of remedies to no avail...until I found O'Keeffe's Working Hands. It'll sound like a commercial, but it certainly works for me.