Thursday, February 14, 2019

Soaring paper wings

The art of love is largely the art of persistence.
~Albert Ellis


A Browning repost in honor of Valentine's Day, plus a bit of romance from Poetry from the Plains:

Meeting at Night
by Robert Browning (1812 - 89)

The grey sea and the long black land;
And the yellow half-moon large and low;
And the startled little waves that leap
In fiery ringlets from their sleep,
As I gain the cove with pushing prow,
And quench its speed i' the slushy sand.

Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach;
Three fields to cross till a farm appears;
A tap at the pane, the quick sharp scratch
And blue spurt of a lighted match,
And a voice less loud, thro' it's joys and fears,
Then the two hearts beating each to each!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A modern video version of Meeting At Night.



***********

Untitled Poem for Sarah
by Matt Mason

Every morning you’d think
all the moths would throw themselves into the Sun.

But they wait
for streetlights
to consume them

in small coughs
of sparkle,
my dear,

read the rest here

***********

Check It Out has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Jone!

14 comments:

Michelle Kogan said...

I liked both versions of Robert Browning's "Meeting at Night," the modern take held its own. Thanks for the "paper wings' and "moths" too–Happy Valentine's Day Tabatha <3

Robyn Hood Black said...

Amazing finds as always, Tabatha - and what a lovely video! (Could listen to that voice all day.) Thanks for sharing the sizzle and spark this week.

Michelle Schaub said...

I love the end rhyme pattern in "Meeting at Night." This would be a good one to try to imitate! Thanks for sharing, Tabatha!

jama said...

*fans self*

Would I love to receive a phone call from someone reciting Browning! Someone I know, of course. :)

Hope your VDay was romantic!!

Linda B said...

Love reading, then 'hearing' Browning, so vivid that journey to the door, & how can I forget & then later wonder why moths do not fling themselves at the sun. Perhaps they are examples to us? Thanks, Tabatha, may you have many kinds of love in your life.

Tabatha said...

The second poem reminds me of when someone asked Paul Newman about being able to have any woman he wanted and he said "I have steak at home. Why would I go out for hamburger?"

Linda Mitchell said...

Sigh. Beautiful. I love .... love poems when they don't mention love straight on. That Browning poem makes me swoon.

Jone said...

Swoon...these are lovely and romantic.

Whispers from the Ridge said...

Ooooh! I love these! All filled with romance and mystique.

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, what a rich source of love poems you have collected for our reading! The modern version of the Browning poem ends on such a romantic note that I agree with Jama about receiving a call with a love poem recitation. Thanks for sharing the love.

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

I love both, but the idea that we are tilting at streelamps and ignoring our sun. Wow. I love that.

Mary Lee said...

I love the moth poem! Reminds me of the moth poem in ARCHY AND MEHITABEL. (http://themosthappy.me/2014/03/05/the-lesson-of-the-moth-by-don-marquis/)

Molly Hogan said...

Oh, such a wonderful collection of love poems. I loved reading the Browning poem and then watching the video and listening to that amazing voice. The second poem moved me as well--like Brenda said, "tilting at streetlamps and ignoring our sun." --Wow! Great Valentine's Post!

Ruth said...

Great post!