Thursday, November 3, 2016

Kimono

There is one other reason for dressing well, namely that dogs respect it, and will not attack you in good clothes.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Kimono, which literally means "thing to wear," is defined as "a long, loose robe with wide sleeves and tied with a sash, originally worn as a formal garment in Japan and now also used elsewhere as a robe." I like the rich, complementary colors and textures.

By Utagawa Kuniyoshi
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

ASO!*koyu* Yukata Series
MENI from ASO! & Soothe

A merchant making up the account
by Katsushika Hokusai (1760–1849)

Antique kimono
photo by tonko43

Kimono, butterfly on the back
Sgt.Steiner

Going Out, 1926
by Chen Cheng-po (1895–1947)

By Yamamoto Hōsui (1850–1906)

Dyed by Light Red
by Omiya Tou

A bijin compared to the beauty of the pine covered islands at Matsushima in Rikuzen Province, 1898
by Toyohara Chikanobu


2 comments:

HWY said...

I've always thought of Kimonos as works of fabric art...and they look really comfortable, too!

These are really good depictions, and I particularly like the Kuniyoshi triptych and Going Out, 1926. Nice art OF art. :-)

Retta said...

Oh, I ADORE kimonos! The colors, patterns, textures, the ornamentation worn with them, etc. I would love for it to become a fad here, ha ha. I even collected almost 200 of my favorites onto my Pinterest board. I find them so inspiring for designing paintings. Thank you for another enjoyable post!