Friday, June 24, 2011

Boxes

Spotlighting English author/poet Sophie Hannah today. She is famous for her psychological thrillers, but she also writes poems for children and adults:

The World is a Box
by Sophie Hannah

My heart is a box of affection.
My head is a box of ideas.
My room is a box of protection.
My past is a box full of years.

The future’s a box full of after.
An egg is a box full of yolk.
My life is a box full of laughter
And the world is a box full of folk.

~~~~~~~

No Wonder
by Sophie Hannah

This love looks set to grow extremely tall.
I chart its weekly progress on the wall

the way my mum made pencil marks above
my sister’s head and mine. I’ve called it love

since it began, but now I have some proof -
infatuation stops before the roof

while love climbs bravely up to bash its head.
The bleeding starts. No wonder hearts are red.

~~~~~~~

Pessimism for Beginners
by Sophie Hannah

When you’re waiting for someone to e-mail,
When you’re waiting for someone to call –
Young or old, gay or straight, male or female –
Don’t assume that they’re busy, that’s all.

Don’t conclude that their letter went missing
Or they must be away for a while;
Think instead that they’re cursing and hissing –
They’ve decided you’re venal and vile,

read the rest here.

Carol is hosting the Poetry Friday round-up.

2 comments:

jama said...

I always hear about such great new-to-me poets here. Thanks for featuring Sophie's poems. Enjoyed them all.

signed,
Ms. Pessimism :)

Mary Lee said...

Fun! The first one reminded me of Liz Garton Scanlon's "A Sock is a Pocket."