Thursday, December 16, 2010

P.J. Lynch

"External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty."
- A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens


On tap today: Irish artist/illustrator P.J. Lynch.

Some of Lynch's illustrations from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol



Scrooge and Christmas Present

Bob and Tiny Tim

From Melisande, by E. Nesbit, illustrated by P.J. Lynch

A poster for the Steadfast Tin Soldier

Mr. Lynch also created the art for various Irish stamps, such as this one of the Children of Lir:

One last quote from A Christmas Carol:
It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour.

Tomorrow I'll have a bit of poetry about Dickens as well.

The works above were posted with permission of the artist.

3 comments:

Busted Taillight said...

Love P.J. Lynch's illustration. Absolutely wonderful use of perspective and angle.

Retta said...

You always offer such interesting links for Art Thursday! Things that I would have missed otherwise. Thank you so much for all the work you do in sharing these, I totally look forward to them each week. Of all the "newsletters" I get, yours and Robert Genn's are my favorites!

Loretta
=^..^=

Tabatha said...

You know, I discovered I have a busted taillight today? What a coincidence. Yes, I love Lynch's perspectives/angles, too!

Loretta, great to hear from you! You've been getting my notices for ages, haven't you? I should give you some sort of longevity prize.