Thursday, February 15, 2024

Confident in our walls

Every time you read a poem aloud to yourself in the presence of others, you are reading it into yourself and them. Voice helps to carry words farther and deeper than the eye.
~Seamus Heaney


Happy Poetry Friday! I heard a bunch of different people recite Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney and they were all lovely. (If you are considering learning poems by heart, this is a good one to start with.)


Scaffolding
by Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won’t slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job’s done
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall
Confident that we have built our wall.



*****************

Reflections on the Teche has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Margaret!

Bonus poem: For Rita with Love by Pat Ingoldsby

13 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Oh this is lovely and, you are right, its in excellent read aloud. thank you for sharing.

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Tabetha, what a wonderful thought that in strong relationships, we can afford to let the scaffolding fall away. It makes me think of some of my oldest friendships. Even though we aren't in touch for months, sometimes years at a time, we know the stone wall is still there.

Margaret Simon said...

"We may let the scaffolds fall." I am loving this idea that, even in difficult times, the wall will stand. Such a hopeful, loving thought placed into a delicious sounding poem.

Patricia Franz said...

This one will sit with me for awhile. I've not read a lot by Seamus Heaney, but that may now change. Thanks!

Linda B said...

With all our connections, this will be one to remember, Tabatha, one true support for those we love. And, I loved hearing it, too.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks for sharing the poem and the reading!

jama said...

Very nice! Excellent poem; must read more Seamus Heaney!

Ruth said...

This poem is a favorite of mine. It's got a reassuring vibe to it -- kind of a "trust the process" thing. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Linda Mitchell said...

What a perfect love poem for me to share with my husband...we've been at love for a while now and I've depended on that scaffolding for a while too--without even knowing it. Wonderful poem! Thank you. And, that bonus poem? Oh, my goodness. I know just the Special Ed. teacher to share this with.

Bridget Magee said...

Love hearing this one read aloud. Thanks, Tabitha. :)

Mary Lee said...

Lovely to hear that read aloud. And the bonus poem broke my heart a little.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Well, dang--that would have been a most appropriate poem for me to give Fiona on Valentine's Day. I guess it's not too late to learn and recite it to her! Thanks, as always, for your bottomless catalogue of shared delights.

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, I love this poem that speaks of lasting, enduring love. Thank you the read aloud also.