Thursday, October 26, 2023

Lessons from the Bride

The Bride of Frankenstein is one of six monsters featured in the 1998 pinball machine Monster Bash by Williams. The objective of the game is to form a band with classic Universal monsters. Every monster has their own game mode which you have to start to have them added as a band member, the Bride is the singer in the band.
~Wikipedia



Happy Poetry Friday! After looking around for a "Bride of Frankenstein" poem, I decided I'd better write one myself. Such an interesting tale she has -- in the original book, she is never finished. The doctor is afraid that his desire to appease the monster may lead "a race of devils."

However, she IS brought to life in the 1935 movie, and in many movies, TV shows, and cartoons thereafter. Dr. Frankenstein worried about her spawning generations of "monsters," but she did it anyway.

Lessons from the Bride
by Tabatha Yeatts

Even if you're feeling a little
rough around the edges,
a bit unrefined,
you can rise from the Surgical Table of Life,

reject your past,
scream at your suitors,
and escape your beginnings.

Even if they nearly pulled the plug on you
for fear of the misfits you might create,

you can deliver
as many new selves
as you can envision.

No castle can hold you,
you are your own thunderstorm.

***************

Addendum
I was looking up the thunderstorm/lightning/electricity element of the story and I found this poster: "More fearful than the monster himself!" they say.


The Apples in My Orchard has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Carol!

15 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

ooooooh..."you can deliver many new selves..." that is frightening.

Mary Lee said...

That's an attitude I can get behind! You go, Girl!!

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Tabetha, I love it! “Scream at your suitors” made me chuckle. I had never thought of the Bride of Frankenstein as a role model, but I think I can see it now…

Carol Labuzzetta said...

Tabatha, I love this - especially the line about feeling unrefined! Scary to think of reproductions - offspring! Thanks!

tanita said...

Sing it, sister! Scream at your suitors and deliver your own darned self.

Patricia Franz said...

And of course, YES! WE ARE NEVER FINISHED! -- Love this anthem for all of us Brides!

Linda B said...

Wonderful, "you are your own thunderstorm" creates a super mantra for all females. I'm going to share this with my granddaughters, Tabatha!

jama said...

Cool poem!! I think the Bride will be smiling come Tuesday!!

Janice Scully said...

The Surgical Table of Life is something to think about. The Periodic Table came to mind. :) Love the last line.

Denise Krebs said...

Tabatha, good for you writing your own Bride of Frankenstein poem. I am thinking of all the great uses for this line: "you are your own thunderstorm" Thanks for the info about the Bride. I never knew.

Linda said...

I enjoyed your poem! "you are your own thunderstorm" is a great line and so empowering!

Michelle Kogan said...

Love your ending,
"No castle can hold you,
you are your own thunderstorm."
Makes me smile— let's do it, whatever it is, or whatever our calling!

Wishing you and your family a spook-filled-fun Halloween! 🎃 👻

Bridget Magee said...

Your poem truly illuminates Bride's potential, Tabatha! "No castle can hold you" indeed! Love the red-eyed bust - what a nightlight for a fright. :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Bravo, Tabatha. I was thinking of becoming the Bride of Frankenstein for the Halloween party but did not have the face paint to create stitches. Instead I become a bride of a vampire who was ready to bite me. Halloween is so much fun!

Robyn Hood Black said...

PERFECT, Tabatha - love everything about this! Killer last line. Happy Halloween!