Thursday, June 22, 2023

Jazz on the moon

We all do 'do, re, mi,' but you have got to find the other notes yourself.
~Louis Armstrong



Happy Poetry Friday, everyone! Although I'm not a teacher, I really enjoy Porcupine Literary, a journal by and for teachers, which is where I read today's poem. Jo Angela Edwins takes a student mistake (confusing astronaut Neil Armstrong with musician Louis Armstrong) and lets her imagination soar: When Louis Armstrong Landed on the Moon.

When Louis Armstrong Landed on the Moon
by Jo Angela Edwins

Quiz question: Who was the first person to set foot on the moon?
Student answer: Louis Armstrong


Picture his space helmet
specially equipped
to accommodate the trumpet.

He must have resembled
a Seussian cartoon:
that polished horn
sticking stiffly through the visor,
the aperture gasketed
tightly with polymers,
a protection against oxygen leaks,

read the rest here

****************

More poems from Porcupine Literary:
To My Student Who Cried for the Creature in Frankenstein by Dana Kinsey
Sisyphus logs onto his 9AM Zoom class by m.o. kng
Masque of the Red Death by Aimee Noel
John Wick, in the Classroom, explains his Pedagogy by Chloe N Clark
On Being a Closeted Teacher by Caroline Earlywine

****************

A Word Edgewise has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Linda!

14 comments:

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, I never heard of Porcupine Literary but am intrigued so I searched on the internet. I think I shall bookmark the site. Thank you for sharing.

Linda Mitchell said...

What a wonderful post! I have a student story for you. In my school district librarians have been put in the position of labeling books with "sexually explicit material" as defined by the state (meaning the book challengers).
A few weeks ago I was teaching a science review station activity and the question was, "what's something you inherited from your parent?" One student answered, "Pollinator."
So...of course...anytime we need to refer to male anatomy related to reviewing books for s.e.m. I use the term "pollinator." LOL. I don't think I can turn that into a poem...but it still makes me giggle. I love that this teacher took a wrong answer and turned it into art...what fun and what beauty. LOVE it!

Bridget Magee said...

Porcupine Literary is a terrific resource - thanks for sharing it and Edwins' poem, Tabs. "I think to myself — what a wonderful world" will be worming its way through the rest of my day, happily! :)

Linda B said...

Tabatha, you bring us so much joy in your sharing. Once in a while I still bring up "What A Wonderful World", always brightens my day. But this poem has marvelous creativity. I love "their feet had gone to tapping" and the site new to me! Thank you!

laurasalas said...

Wow. That is an amazing poem. Thanks for sharing it, Tabatha. Nothing like turning a "wrong" answer into just the right work of art.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks for sharing the poem, Tabatha. I guess it's true - poems hide everywhere, even in misunderstandings and wrong answers.

Michelle Kogan said...

And what a wonderful poem love that last stanza it soars you straight to the 🌙 and wonderful post Tabatha, thanks for all! I’m happily humming too 🥰

Jone said...

Thank you for introducing me to this new journal;.

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

Tabatha, Thank you for sharing this journal with us. It's not one that I know and I look forward to diving into the archives.

Margaret Simon said...

I think moon poems are next week at Irene's blog, so I may have to use this one as inspiration. I'm wowed by the sense of imagination and use of Louis's own line at the end. "What a wonderful world!"

mbhmaine said...

I absolutely love how the "wrong answer" became a creative springboard to this poem. Such a fabulous combination of creativity, specificity and whimsy.

Susan T. said...

What a great idea for a poem! The student mistake launched a good one. So to speak...

Patricia Franz said...

LOL! Thanks for sharing this story, this poem, and the literary mag. Off to read the rest of them :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, my goodness, I LOVE that. :D
And I'll certainly be exploring Porcupine Literary. Thanks, Tabatha!