Sunday, December 18, 2022

Tell me your tale

St. Dymphna is honored as the patron saint of anxiety, stress, mental disorders, depression, and other neurological disorders. She is also invoked as the patron saint of runaways and survivors of incest and sexual assault. Her name means “poetess.”
~ConnectUS


Hi y'all! I just deactivated my Twitter account because, as much as I loved it, I just couldn't stand the owner. I'm on Mastodon now and would be happy to follow you if you're there (I'm "caorann" which means "rowan tree" in Gàidhlig.)

A while back, I posted a poem (Subjective Units of Distress Scale 1-10) that featured the Irish saint Dymphna. I hadn't heard of St Dymphna until then, but I was intrigued. This brave girl with flowers, a sword, and a book is the patron saint of mental health. What can I say, I'm a fan. I bought a Dymphna ornament, and one of our dogs mangled it before she made it onto the tree. Since the original Dymphna was beheaded, that seemed fairly par for the course, but I couldn't let that be the end of her story. I ordered a new one and she is safely ensconced on the tree. Here she is, intact:


For Music Monday, Nightingale by Norah Jones:



1 comment:

HWY said...

Beautiful song...one of Norah's best in my opinion.