Thursday, September 29, 2022

Paula Modersohn-Becker

I am becoming somebody – I'm living the most intensively happy period of my life. ~Paula in a letter to her sister Milly Rohland-Becker, May 1906

For Art Thursday, paintings by Paula Modersohn-Becker (1876-1907). When I chose her works, I didn't realize she died tragically of a postpartum embolism at age 31. I'm glad she caught my eye.

Mädchen am Ententeich
by Paula Modersohn-Becker

Old Peasant Woman
by Paula Modersohn-Becker

Elsbeth Modersohn on a red pillow
by Paula Modersohn-Becker

Old poor woman with a glass ball and poppies
by Paula Modersohn-Becker

Lee Hoetger and her sister
by Paula Modersohn-Becker

1 comment:

HWY said...

The child on the red pillow is really sweet even though she looks a bit sad.

I'm really glad that Paula Modersohn-Becker had an "intensively happy period of her life" before she died.