Thursday, March 10, 2022

We’ll gather periwinkles together

“I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow, than a man swear he loves me.”
~Beatrice, Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare)



For Poetry Friday, we have light lyrics. A popular Ukrainian folksong Підманула підвела (You Tricked Me) tells a story about a "girl who plays with the feelings of a young man in love." He certainly keeps coming back for more. The translation site explains, "Don’t worry; this song is joyful, and you will not find even a glance of sadness there. A young Ukrainian man is not scared by difficulties!"

Підманула підвела:

You have told me that on Monday
We’ll gather periwinkles together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down

Chorus:
You tricked me,
You let me down,
You’re making me, a young man,
Lose my mind.

You have told me that on Tuesday
You will kiss me forty times
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)

You have told me that on Wednesday
We’ll wrangle up the cattle together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)

You have told me that on Thursday
We’ll go to the concert together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)

You have told me that on Friday
We’ll gather wild strawberries together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)

You have told me that on Saturday
We’ll go to work together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)

You have told me that on Sunday
We’ll go to the wedding together
I’ve come, and there you aren’t,
You tricked me and let me down
(chorus)



**********

Poetry For Children has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Sylvia and Janet!

15 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

I love the structure of this folksong - combining the days of the week incorporated into the lovelorn (but peppy!) lyrics.
This quote sure has been on display for the world to see: "A young Ukrainian man is not scared by difficulties!"
Thanks for sharing Tabs! :)

jama said...

That's one persistent courter. I kind of feel sorry for him. Thanks for sharing this -- was not familiar with any Ukrainian folk songs before.

Linda B said...

Persistence often wins, but it sounds like a lot of smiles for the girl first! Fun, Tabatha, & a nice thought for the Ukrainians.

Patricia Franz said...

Praying the strength of Ukrainian men will lead their country back to freedom. Thank you for sharing this!

Robyn Hood Black said...

As Bridget notes, I don't think young (or old) Ukranian men (or women) are scared by anything. Nice to see this lighter fare in honor of the folksong's roots, Tabatha, as we are all heartsick about what's happening. xo

Carol J. Labuzzetta said...

Tabitha, Thank you for sharing this poem/lyric. I love the phrase, and there you aren't...and how it repeats. The language is not as expected but delivers the disappointment all the same. I like how the piece shows his persistence and how he truly is being driven crazy!

Michelle Kogan said...

I hope the persistence of this folksong continues to carry the brave Ukrainians and their proud spirit forward. Thanks for sharing the poem and lively song too Tabatha!

Denise Krebs said...

Tabatha,
Thank you for your posts about Ukraine, including this sweet song. I'm glad you wrote about the joyfulness of this song, with no sadness. We would have to hear that from someone who knows the song. (I suppose we have English songs like that too--perhaps "Ring Around the Rosie" is one.)

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for showcasing the richness of Ukranian culture for us. It's a powerful reminder of all that is threatened by this war.

Linda Mitchell said...

Hooray for Ukrainian silliness. I needed to see this, read this ... and I wish I knew the tune so I could sing this.

Sylvia Vardell said...

I've been seeking out things about Ukraine-- especially poetry-- like so many other people, I imagine. Love this fun folksong glimpse! Thanks for joining our Poetry Friday crew!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

That young man is a slow learner, I'd say. : )

Margaret Simon said...

Thanks for posting this little song of joy for Ukraine. Amidst the sadness and heartbreak, I pray we find hope.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks for a lighthearted look at Ukraine where the sadness now is overwhelming. The layers and repetition in this folksong are perfect.

Karen Edmisten said...

He is definitely not getting the message. :)

Like others, though, what stopped my breath: "A young Ukrainian man is not scared by difficulties!" So many levels.