Thursday, May 5, 2016

Care to Dance?

Please send me your last pair of shoes, worn out with dancing as you mentioned in your letter, so that I might have something to press against my heart.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


My kids have been involved with visual arts, theater, poetry, and choral and instrumental music, but not much dance. Which may be why I haven't posted as much about dance as some topics, but there are still some to check out. I like the intentness, joy, and intimacy in today's dancing images.

Ukiyoe depicting ballroom dancing at the Rokumeikan, Tokyo, Japan, 1888

by Toyohara Chikanobu alias Yōshū Chikanobu

An impromptu dance - a scene on the Chelsea Embankment, 1883
by Frederick Brown (1851-1941)

The dance floor
by Axel Petersson Döderhultarn

Waltz
by Camille Claudel (1893) in Musée Rodin (Paris)
photo by Philippe Alès

Orange Line
By Leo Rauth

Jazzapation: Fox Trot
composed by Edward Claypoole, 1920

A Merry Moment
by Antonina Rzhevskaya (1861-1934)

Twenty-two years of getting out on the dancefloor:



1 comment:

HWY said...


Wonderful depictions of dance, each expressing the passion of movement. I must admit, though, that I was most drawn to A Merry Moment for some reason. I guess it just implied joy and happiness beautifully.

Really enjoyed the Madonna video, too. She is an amazing entertainer.