This topic is lamentably close to my heart. Injuries can be devastating for musicians and they can come from a variety of sources: overuse, accidents, illnesses, even physical attacks and natural disasters. The bottom line is ... they really stink.
Here's a video from the University of Colorado's Musicians' Wellness Initiative:
Some links, including ones on injury prevention:
* Musicians' Injuries: Types and How to Avoid Them By Espie Estrella
* Face and neck stretches for musicians
* Musician and injury: Janet Horvath has articles such as "Onstage Tricks to Stay Well" and "Protect your ears."
* Help for Lip Injury for Musicians
* Psychology of the Injured Musician from The Life of a Musician: Robin Hill.
* The Injured Musician -- A Taboo Subject?
* A Painful Melody: Repetitive Strain Injury Among Musicians by Tamara Mitchell, edited by Sally Longyear.
* Musicians with injuries, a group for string players
* A list of injury-related links from Musical Online.com
* Lots more links from Musicians Way, including a bunch of stuff about protecting hearing
* Medical Problems of Performing Artists Symposium July 20-23, 2013 in Colorado
* I poked around to see if there was a list of famous musicians who overcame injuries (or maybe who couldn't overcome them). I didn't see one, but here's 10 famous musicians with disabilities. Also, TopTenz' Top Ten Disabled Musicians.