Thursday, April 24, 2014

Collections, I and II

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
~J.G. Ballard


Welcome! Glad you could make it. The Opposite of Indifference is hosting two collections today— one is a compilation of poems that take place in imaginary places and the other is the Poetry Friday round-up. Please leave your link in the comments!


Has anyone brought any historical poems? My son is taking part in the first annual U.S. History Bee on April 25th. It's the brainchild of David Madden, who was a 19-day champion on Jeopardy. Madden also founded the National History Bee and National History Bowl, which will be taking place this weekend (and my son is doing those as well!). Lots of poetry and history for us today.


A while back, I began writing poems about fictional lands using entries from The Dictionary of Imaginary Places as prompts. I collected those poems, plus ones by other poets in this collection:

THE DIRECTORY OF IMAGINARY POEMS

* Alice at Seventeen: Like a Blind Child by Darcy Cummings
* Alzuna by Alfred Noyes
* An Epilogue to the Above By Duchess of Newcastle Margaret Cavendish
* Atlantis by Tabatha Yeatts
* Atlas by Carol Ann Duffy
* Bibliotherapy by Linda Baie
* Eldorado By Edgar Allan Poe
* Fairy-Land By Edgar Allan Poe
* Geppetto in the Whale by Tabatha Yeatts
* Inside the Chocolate Factory by Irene Latham
* Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
* Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
* from Laon and Cythna; or The Revolution of the Golden City By Percy Bysshe Shelley
* Máel Dúin, Seafarer of the Atlantic by Diane Mayr
* Medusa by Louise Bogan
* Morte d'Arthur By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
* On the Island of the Fay by Tabatha Yeatts
* O.O.U. by Tabatha Yeatts
* Peter Rabbit by Laura Shovan
* Puff the Magic Dragon by Leonard Lipton and Peter Yarrow
* The Agamemnon Rag By Jack Conway
* The Division of Poetic Licensing by Tabatha Yeatts
* The Gardener of Tanje Palace by Tabatha Yeatts
* The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll
* The Sea of Frozen Words by Tabatha Yeatts
* The Sugar-Plum Tree by Eugene Field
* The Theater for Cloud Repair by Sandra J. Lindow
* The Valley of Unrest By Edgar Allan Poe
* The Well o’ the World’s End by Ethna Carbery (Anna MacManus)
* Waiting On Hogwarts by Tabatha Yeatts
* We Pay Our Fare in Apples Here by Megan Arkenberg

Some housekeeping notes:
I'll be running a Summer Poem Swap again -- let me know if you want in! Also, I am clearly technologically-challenged, based on what happened when I added a blog roll this week. I went through and got everyone's blog info, which then all got erased. It took me a while to figure out that I was only allowed to save one blog at a time, and by that point, I was pretty tired of doing it over again. If you aren't on the roll but would like to be, email me and I'll add you.

*****************

* At Today's Little Ditty, it's Michelle's turn to host the Progressive Poem.
* Joy shares an original rondelet and a poem for two voices.
* At TeachingAuthors, April is deconstructing her poem HOW TO READ A POEM ALOUD.
* On April's Poetry Month blog, she compares writing a book to taking a challenging walk.
* Laura Shovan is continuing her series on "Source Poems" with her friend Ann Bracken, a Maryland poet. This post is for grown-ups, as it deals with poetry's power to help heal depression.
* Matt is sharing two things: a short interview he posted earlier this week with crime poetry editor/poet Gerald So and a poem that arrived unexpectedly in the mail yesterday!
* At Random Noodling, Diane has a poem about Boston's swan boats.
* Kurious Kitty has a poem by Celia Thaxter.
* KK's Kwote is by Paul L. Thomas.
* Buffy offers two versions of a poem inspired by Laura Salas' 15-word-or-less prompt.
* At Hope is the Word, Amy reviews Tour America by Diane Siebert.
* Violet offers Magnolia haiku, a collection of three haiku.
* Donna is all about the letter V today with a villanelle called "the giVer riVer."
* At TeacherDance, Linda is sharing a children's book of poems and stories from a long while ago, and a spring poem in it from a Norwegian poet new to her.
* Robyn is in with a Happy 450th BDay to the Bard (it was Wed.), and his Sonnet 98.
* At NC Teacher Stuff, Jeff is talking about cinquains.
* Myra brings us Margarita Engle's "The Lightning Dreamer" which is based on the life story narrative of Gertrudis Gómez de Avellaneda, Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist.
* Julieanne reminds me of the Poetry Monster as she shares an adorable poem "of apology" for her first Poetry Friday post.
* Greg has poems by Julie Larios and George Ella Lyon. This week, he's also shared poetry by J. Patrick Lewis, Georgia Heard, Nikki Giovanni, Charles R. Smith, Jr., Janet Wong, Heidi Mordhorst, an original, Tracie Vaughn Zimmer, Jane Yolen, Brod Bagert, Arnold Adoff, and David L. Harrison!
* Four of B.J. Lee's poems are being featured by artist Jaeda Renae.
* Mary Lee is visiting Victoria Falls for her Our Wonderful World National Poetry Month project.
* At The Poem Farm, Amy has Poem #25 in the Thrift Store series: "Duck and Doll" - a free verse poem about friendship.
* Renee is sharing her post on Sylvia Plath's "Daddy," which is part of Laura Shovan's source poem series.
* Tara offers The Evening is Tranquil, and Dawn is a Thousand Miles Away by Charles Wright.
* Irene reviews a new book of poems titled A POND FULL OF INK, which totally reminds her of Shel Silverstein. :)
* Heidi's National Poetry Month journey takes her close to home today, with poems by her kindergarteners!
* Anastasia brings us a STEM haiku.
* Liz is still working on her poem a day project for April. This week she's posted poems about the mailbox, the sidewalk, the earth, and one reason the outside world is a refuge for me.
* JoAnn has an original shape poem and tips for creating shape poems, and she is also giving away a copy of Write a Poem Step by Step.
* At POETRY TIME, Charles posts about a classroom visit he did and shares other nuggets of goodness.
* Ruth at There's No Such Thing as a God-forsaken Town gives us a review of Irene Latham's book, plus a poem her daughter wrote about her a few years ago.
* Laura Purdie Salas shares a riddle-ku, which she's wriiting daily for Poetry Month.
* Becky is celebrating Jack Prelutsky.
* Margaret is in with a pantoum that took her in an unexpected direction.
* At Bildungsroman, we have PIGEON by Carl Sandburg.
* Birthday girl Karen Edmisten brings us Teaching Mavis to Ride a Bike by Faith Shearin.
* Janet Squires has Joyce Sidman's Meow Ruff at All About the Books.
* Tricia has what I didn't know I was missing: Lines Written for Gene Kelly to Dance To by Carl Sandburg.
* TeacherPoet Jen Ward brings us an original poem called Fallen.
* At Wild Rose Reader, Elaine shares an original poem about the Megalodon which she wrote as a definition of the prehistoric shark.
* MsMac has some haiku poems from second grade.
* From Deo Writer, NaPoWriMo Day 26: Making Up for Lost Time.

45 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

You are the Queen of Collections, Tabatha. I will be pouring over both of these, but especially taking my time with the imaginary poems to relish each one. (Delighted to see so many of your own poems featured on the list!) Thank you for being today's Poetry Friday roundup goddess as well.

So sorry to hear about the blog roll fiasco-- what a nuisance. But thanks for including me. :) I WILL get around to doing this myself one of these days!

At Today's Little Ditty, it's my turn to host the Progressive Poem. The post will be live at 12:30 a.m. http://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/

Joy said...

Thanks for hosting us today, Tabatha.
I have an original rondelet posted for the Friday Poetry Round Up this week. It goes live at midnight MST. On Thursday, I had a poem for two voices for Poem In Your Pocket Day. Both of these posts can be found at www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

April Halprin Wayland said...

Tabatha! Thanks so much for hosting...just HOSTING makes me tired...so I can't even IMAGINE the tiredness that set in when all those blog links disappeared
...argh!

And thanks for sharing your collection of imaginary place poems, filled with so many of my Poetry Friday friends' poems!

At TeachingAuthors I'm in today deconstructing my poem HOW TO READ A POEM ALOUD (which goes live early Friday morn...):

http://www.teachingauthors.com/2014/04/deconstructing-poemand-happy-last.html

AND...at my Poetry Month blog on my own website where I've been having a metaphoraffair all month long. Friday's entry compares writing a book to a challenging walk...

http://www.aprilwayland.com/2014/04/walking-to-the-ocean-metaphor/

...which also goes live early Friday morn...

Author Amok said...

Hi, Tabatha. Jabberwocky is an all-time favorite at our household.

I'm continuing my series on "Source Poems" with my friend Ann Bracken, a Maryland poet. This post is for grown-ups, as it deals with poetry's power to help heal depression. http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2014/04/source-poems-well-of-grief.html

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Thanks for hosting today, Tabatha! Your list reminds me of a poem I wrote about all sorts of faraway lands, called 'The Search': http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-the-search/

Anyway, today I'm sharing two things: a short interview I posted earlier this week with crime poetry editor/poet Gerald So (http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/national-poetry-month-catching-up-with-crime-poetry-editor-gerald-so/) and today's Poetry Friday is a first for me - I'm posting a poem I did not write! It arrived unexpectedly in the mail yesterday (http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/poetry-friday-the-poetry-of-vladimir-k/) and I had to share it!

Diane Mayr said...

Tabatha, this has been a great month visiting imaginary places!

Here are my offerings for P.F.:

At Random Noodling I have a poem about Boston's swan boats. http://randomnoodling.blogspot.com/2014/04/poetry-friday-sign-of-spring.html

Kurious Kitty has a poem by Celia Thaxter. http://kuriouskitty.blogspot.com/2014/04/poetry-friday-celia-thaxter.html

KK's Kwote is by Paul L. Thomas. http://kkskwotes.blogspot.com/2014/04/poetry-friday_24.html

Violet N. said...

Tabatha, as always, there's an embarrassment of riches here at your hangout. Thanks so much for hosting us today!

My offering today is a collection of three haiku I titled "Magnolia haiku." It's here: http://vnesdolypoems.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/magnolia-haiku/

Buffy Silverman said...

Thanks for hosting, Tabatha. I can see that I will be spending some time visiting imaginary places in the morning!
I've got two version of a poem inspired by Laura Salas' 15-word-or-less prompt:
http://buffysilverman.com/blog/?p=487

Buffy Silverman said...

(and I'd love to participate in the summer poem swap. Thanks for organizing it again.)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Good luck to your son!

My Poetry Friday entry:
http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2014/04/24/tour-america-a-journey-through-poems-and-art-by-diane-siebert/

Donna Smith said...

Thanks for hosting today, Tabatha! I am interested in joining the summer poem swap. Not sure how it goes, but I'm willing to give it a whirl.
Today for Poetry Friday I have a Villanelle called "the giVer riVer". Yes, those caps are in the right place - it is all about the letter V today!
Donna Smith
http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2014/04/ayuh-to-z-challenge-v.html

Linda B said...

Hi Tabatha, your collection looks marvelous! Best wishes to your son in the history bee. My poem is not historical, but the book it came from is. I am sharing a children's book of poems and stories from a long while ago, and a spring poem in it from a Norwegian poet new to me. Thanks for hosting! http://www.teacherdance.org/2014/04/poetry-treasure-for-poetry-friday.html

Robyn Hood Black said...

As Violet noted, "an embarrassment of riches!" Thank you for everything you do. And I'd love to swap this summer!

Thanks for hosting today as well - I'm in with a Happy 450th BDay to the Bard (it was Wed.), and his Sonnet 98.

http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=955113

Jeff Barger said...

Thank you for hosting and good luck to your son today. I'll be sharing Waiting for Hogwarts with my Potter-mad daughters. At NC Teacher Stuff, I am talking about cinquains: http://ncteacherstuff.blogspot.com/2014/04/cinquains.html?m=1

GatheringBooks said...

Tabatha! Thank you so much for being our gracious host this week. Your directory of imaginary poems is such a buffet of magical words that feed the soul.

I have the silenced voice of Tula or La Peregrina (The Wanderer) for Poetry Friday at GatheringBooks today as I share Margarita Engle's "The Lightning Dreamer" which is based on the life story narrative of Gertrudis Gómez de Avellaneda, Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist.
Here is the link:
http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/poetry-friday-the-silenced-voice-of-tula-in-margarita-engles-lightning-dreamer/

Julieanne said...

Excited to post my first Poetry Friday post. So intrigued to visit imaginary places! (wish I found this sooner). Thank you for hosting!

http://jarhartz.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/poetry-friday-this-is-just-to-say/

Greg Pincus said...

I'm up today with poems by Julie Larios and George Ella Lyon.

This week I've also shared poetry by J. Patrick Lewis, Georgia Heard, Nikki Giovanni, Charles R. Smith, Jr., Janet Wong, Heidi Mordhorst, me, Tracie Vaughn Zimmer, Jane Yolen, Brod Bagert, Arnold Adoff, and David L. Harrison! I hope folks will check 'em all out....

Thanks for hosting!

BJ Lee said...

Hi Tabatha! Loved your list of imaginary poems! I'm in today with a Feature of four of my poems by artist, Jaeda Renae http://bluewindow.weebly.com/1/post/2014/04/poetry-friday-jaeda-renae-features-my-poems.html thank you,
~BJ

Mary Lee said...

My National Poetry Month project (Our Wonderful World) is kind of the opposite of your Dictionary of Imaginary Places! Today we visit Victoria Falls:

http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/04/our-wonderful-world25.html

Please include me in the summer poem swap!

Amy LV said...

Thank you, Tabatha, for hosting with all things imaginary and all Poetry Friday things real! Much fun to your son this weekend.

At The Poem Farm, I have Poem #25 in the Thrift Store series, "Duck and Doll" - a free verse poem about friendship.
http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/2014/04/duck-and-doll-poem-25-for-april-2014.html

Renee LaTulippe said...

I love the imaginary place poems! I clicked through a few and saved the list for later - fabulous!

Today I'm sharing my post on Sylvia Plath's "Daddy," which is part of Laura Shovan's source poem series. http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2014/04/source-poems_24.html

Thank you for hosting!

Tara said...

Poetry and history - I have to check this out! Here's my Poetry Friday offering:

http://ateachinglifedotcom.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/poetry-friday-charles-wright-the-evening-is-tranquil-and-dawn-is-a-thousand-miles-away/

Irene Latham said...

Oh, feeling your pain on the lost blog roll! Grrr. And this is such a marvelous list of imaginary poems. Thank you thank you! Happy poetry Friday to you... I'm in with a review of a new book of poems A POND FULL OF INK that totally reminds me of Shel Silverstein. :)
http://www.irenelatham.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-pond-full-of-ink-by-annie-mg-schmidt.html

Heidi said...

My NPM journey takes me close to home today, with poems by my kindergarteners!
http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2014/04/npm-travel-journal-25-kensington-md.html

I look forward to working my way through both your collections, Tabatha--thanks for hosting. I'm considering the Summer Poem Swap...I'm not working or taking any courses or traveling this summer, but hope to spend it WRITING. : )

Anastasia Suen said...

Thanks for hosting, Tabatha!
Please keep me in mind for the Poetry Swap this summer. In the meantime, I have a STEM haiku for today: http://anastasiasuenpoetpoet.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/byte-sized-mail/

Liz Steinglass said...

Tabatha--Thank you for hosting and for inspiring so much poetry. I'm still working on my poem a day project for April. This week I've posted poems about the mailbox, the sidewalk, the earth, and one reason the outside world is a refuge for me. Here's the link to yesterday's poem. I haven't written today's poem yet!

http://elizabethsteinglass.com/2014/04/the-mailbox/

JoAnn Early Macken said...

Thank you for the list--I'm looking forward to reading the poems!

I've posted an original shape poem and tips for creating them at http://www.joannmacken.com/blog.htm?post=955103 I'm also giving away a copy of Write a Poem Step by Step.

Charles Waters said...

Good morning. Thanks for hosting! I have a blog post about a classroom visit I did and other nuggets of goodness at my blog which is called POETRY TIME.

http://www.charleswaterspoetry.com/#!POETRY-TIME-BLOG-11/c23vc/389630FE-3888-4036-9F06-86E7A11E7C60

Ruth said...

Thanks so much for hosting! You always do such a great job! I finally reviewed Irene Latham's book today, plus I have a poem my daughter wrote about me a few years ago. Happy Poetry Friday!

Ruth said...

Oops, forgot the link...http://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2014/04/poetry-friday-sky-between-us-plus.html

laurasalas said...

Good luck to your son! No historical poem from me, though. I'm in with my riddle-ku, which I'm doing daily for Poetry Month: http://www.laurasalas.com/blog/for-teachers/rk-big-drum/

Thanks for hosting!
Laura

Becky Shillington said...

I LOVE your collection of Imaginary Poems, Tabatha! I am going to have to spend some time here today. = ) My Poetry Friday post today celebrates the incredible Jack Prelutsky!
www.beckyshillington.blogspot.com

Margaret Simon said...

Such a wonderland of writing that I can read this Friday morning. I am on spring break which has put me in a more relaxed state. I am in, though, with a pantoum that took me in an unexpected direction. http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/a-gift-and-a-pantoum/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting! I posted PIGEON by Carl Sandburg at my blog, Bildungsroman: http://slayground.livejournal.com/778806.html

Karen Edmisten said...

I absolutely love The Dictionary of Imaginary Places. And what fun that history bee must be!

Thanks for hosting, Tabatha, and I'm in this week with Faith Shearin. It's here.

Janet S. said...

Thanks for hosting.
My selections is a story in concrete poetry: "Meow Ruff" by Joyce Sidman with illustrations by Michelle Berg.

Tricia said...

Hi Tabatha,,
I'm in today with a poem about Gene Kelly.
http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/2014/04/poetry-friday-lines-written-for-gene.html

Thanks for hosting!
Best,
Tricia

Jennifer Ward said...

Wow! What a fantastic collection of poetry and resources. I'll be back
again and again.

And here's my first Poetry Friday contribution, too. I recently learned about this weekly collection from the Two Writing Teachers blog. Thanks so much for hosting!

Jen

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tabatha,

Thanks for doing the roundup this week. Sorry to be so late submitting my poem. I've been babysitting my granddaughter while my daughter and son-in-law were away on vacation. I'm one tired grandma!

At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original poem about the Megalodon--which I wrote as a definition of the prehistoric shark.

http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-poem-about-megalodon.html

Heidi said...

How are the History Bees going, Tabatha?
I've been and read a half-dozen of your own DIP poems--my favorites are the Hogwarts and the Gardener of Tanje ones, for very different reasons. I would love to see a published collection of these!

Did you organize something poetic at RM? Let me know if I can help next year...

Anonymous said...

Horribly late but I got it done: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/napowrimo-day-26-making-up-for-lost-time/

Anonymous said...

Horribly late but I got it done: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/napowrimo-day-26-making-up-for-lost-time/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting. I don't expect these to be added as I am so late. Here are some haiku poems from second grade: http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/thirty-days-of-student-poetry-22/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding, Tabatha. Appreciated..

goetzkluge said...

Good to see Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark in your list. And introducing poetry to children is good as well. How about using Henry Holiday's illustrations to learn seeing?

"We have neglected the gift of comprehending things through our senses. concept is divorced from percept, and thought moves among abstractions. Our eyes have been reduced to instruments with which to identify and to measure; hence we suffer a paucity of ideas that can be expressed in images and in an incapacity to discover meaning in what we see. Naturally we feel lost in the presence of objects that make sense only to undeluted vision, and we seek refuge in the more familiar medium of words. [...] the inborn capacity to understand through the eyes has been put to sleep and must be reawakened."
(Rudolf Arnheim: Art and visual Perception, 1974, p. 1)