Saturday, March 10, 2012

Poem Videos

Recently, I was discussing making poetry videos with my young filmmakers, ages 10 and 13, and I wanted to show them different ways that poems can be presented.

You can do a straight-up recitation, act out the poem, create a text-based video presentation, make an animation...the list goes on. Here are examples from The Opposite of Indifference:

Todd Alcott: Television
Clips of poems in movies
Billy Collins: Forgetfulness
Edward Shanks: The Night Watch
Huang Xiang
Jill Scott performing on Def Poetry
John Siddique: Yew Moon
Links to a few poetry videos
Louis MacNeice: Prayer Before Birth
Matthew Arnold: Morality
Matthew Macfadyen videos and Favorite Poem.org
Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise
Prentice Powell: Good Father
Robert Browning: Meeting At Night
Sarah Kay performing Hands
The Arithmetic of Nurses
To Flute, From Violin (not a video, but visual)
William Blake: The Tyger

2 comments:

Tara said...

I love these! Especially Billy Collins and Maya Angelou (oh, that voice!). This would be a wonderful end of year project, thank you!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tabatha,

I think you missed my announcement at Wild Rose Reader that you won a copy of Janet Wong's book "The Declaration of Interdependence." Could you email me your snail mail address so I can send you the book?

Thanks,
Elaine Magliaro