Thursday, May 9, 2024

Make your soul grow

The "canary bird in the coal mine" theory of the arts: artists should be treasured as alarm systems.
~Kurt Vonnegut


Happy Poetry Friday! A bunch of Kurt Vonnegut's comments about the arts resonate with me. In the video at the bottom of this post, Ian McKellen is quoting Vonnegut (set to music by French Fuse).

Summer Poem Swap info! Do you want to send and receive a poem (or five) this summer? Sign up for the Summer Poem Swap! The number of swaps is up to you. You don't need to send anything but a poem, although some folks send additional stuff. You can send it via email or snail mail. If you would like to receive a poem but you don't think you have it in you to send a poem, contact me anyway. We have folks who are happy to send extras.

You are welcome to mail them early, e.g. if you know you will be gone during Swap #4, you can mail #4 at the same time that you mail #3. The deadline to sign up is May 17th, so send me your name, mailing address, email address, and anything else I should know by then. I will send out swap match-ups as soon as I have them ready.

1st swap: June 14-28
2nd swap: June 28-July 12
3rd swap: July 12-July 26
4th swap: July 26-August 9
5th swap: August 9-23

**************

I went to see Hadestown last weekend so I've been kind of obsessed with listening to it again this week. It's a retelling of the Orpheus/Eurydice story. (Orpheus tries to bring Eurydice out of the Underworld but Hades has one caveat: Orpheus can't look back.)

I've been thinking about various aspects of the story this week, such as -- if Orpheus, talented as he is, can't provide for his love, who can make a living in the arts? He sings a beautiful song about how nature will give them the supplies for their wedding. Nature is great, but sometimes it's cold and you need assistance. Maybe it's because I'm worried about how little our culture cares for the arts that this point stuck out for me.

I'm going to share a song that seems like a poem for multiple voices. The irony, to me, is that Eurydice is in the Underworld because she was poor. What is the enemy?

(The person who wrote the music, Anaïs Mitchell, is playing guitar. *bows respectfully*)



More music because that's how I'm rolling today:


**************

A Word Edgewise has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Linda!

12 comments:

Michelle Kogan said...

Thanks for this bevy of soul growing music Tabatha, what a treat! I look forward to hearing more from both of these talented performers/singers with multiple voices, yes!

Linda Mitchell said...

oooooh! I can't play the videos just now (early morning reading here--and the family is asleep. My earbuds are somewhere...ugh!) I will listen later though. Thanks for hosting the poetry swap again this summer. I love it so much!

Linda B said...

My brother is a musician and was a music teacher, now retired, but often railed against the district cuts, most always to the arts. Now, a granddaughter is at a school for the arts, and a beloved teacher, among other school's programs, have been cut. Those are only 2 examples among many I know that happen, Tabatha. Your videos are poignant, wonder at whose lives need to be shunned, like Eurydice, all through history. Thanks for all!

Jone said...

I hate that arts programs are being cut. Librarians, musicians, and any art needs to be in schools.

Hooray for the Summer Swap. Looking forward to this.

Margaret Simon said...

That song for Hadestown is amazing! Thanks for organizing the summer swap. Always a joy to give and receive poems.

Patricia Franz said...

Practice ANY ART!! Words of wisdom if ever there were! Imagine the world we might live in if everyone took this advice seriously. Sigh!

Carol Labuzzetta said...

Hi, Tabitha. Thanks for organizing the summer swap. I am in - I'll send you the info. Our family is all into the arts and my youngest son (22yo) is making a great living right now as an artist. That said, it's sometimes hard to convince people how important the arts are. Our family practices woodworking, watercolors, oil painting, pottery, 3D printing, beading, leatherwork, photography, and writing. If it interests us - we do it. If arts were going to be cut in our local schools, I'd fight tooth and nail to save them.

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I saw Hadestown in February and Anais Mitchell was IN the audience. It was so cool. The audience that night was ASTOUNDING. I listened to her book "Working on a Song" and I highly recommend the audio version of the book. I sent you an email about the summer poetry swap!

Karen Edmisten said...

Wow, Tabatha, I love this post! I love Kurt Vonnegut and the Ian McKellen/French Fuse mash-up is fantastic. I also adore the show HADESTOWN. My girls and I saw it a couple years ago and can't wait to see it again next year. One of the best shows I've ever seen. "Why We Build the Wall" is such a perfect example of a diabolical dictator at work.

I'm finally going to do the Poetry Swap again! Long overdue for me. :)

Denise Krebs said...

Tabatha, I like the way you are rolling today with this post. I enjoyed listening to both videos. Thanks for always introducing me to new things! I'm excited to participate in the poetry swap again. I'll send you my information. Thanks!

laurasalas said...

I'll have to come back and listen later, Tabatha--I'm out in public now. I love that about not looking back, though. My poem this week is based on a childhood memory...and while I'm generally all about action plans and moving forward, I cherish looking back

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, I am glad that I saw your invitation pop up. I have spent the past weeks in doctor's offices and hospital. I was just released from ICU to the med floor. I will go lightly this summer but do want to be part of the Swap. Thank you for the music to distract me today.