Thursday, May 25, 2023

Dame la mano

You cut off the capacity for grief in your life, and you cut off the joy at the same time. They both come up through the same tunnel. You don't have one without the other.
~William Hurt



For Poetry Friday, a poem from a touching WaPo article: Poems offered me an anchor as I lost my son, so I shared them. Heidi's ghazal goes very well with this poem. "Ask for what you need."

Moses
by Luis Alberto de Cuenca
translated from the Spanish by Gustavo PĂ©rez Firmat

Give me your hand. We have to cross

the river and my strength fails me.

Hold me as if I were an abandoned package

in a wicker basket, a lump that moves

and cries in the twilight. Cross the river

with me. Even if this time the waters

don't part before us. Even if this time God

doesn't come to our aid and a flurry of arrows

riddles our backs. Even if there is no river.

***************

Another recent article about poetry: Paul Kelly says poetry is 'thrilling' and, from hip hop to Instagram, there are many ways to embrace it.

Reverie has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Patricia!

17 comments:

Patricia Franz said...

I think of Moses as an old man, not quite arriving at the Promised Land, asking for a hand. I read somewhere that we grieve deeply because we love deeply - echoes of Mr. Hurt's quote. Imagine all the love and grief of Moses. Thank you, Tabatha

tanita✿davis said...

Ohhh, this.
This is simply lovely -- the hand and the thought of arrows in backs, and the ideas of walking someone across a border, a river, a lifetime...
Dame la mano indeed.

Linda B said...

Finding ways to feel grief is itself a solo journey, but perhaps if we hold hands at the end, it can be done. That's what I believe comes from this lovely poem, Tabatha. We are not alone. Have a nice weekend!

Susan Thomsen said...

Oh, that's beautiful. I'm going to look for more of this poet's work. Thank you!

Jone said...

Thank you for the William Hurt quote. We are definitly not alone.

Karen Eastlund said...

Tabatha: The depth of the river and the depth of loneliness, the depth of grief. These all come through. We all hope for someone to hold our hand when our strength fails, when crossing the river is an act of faith. Thank you for sharing these thought-provoking lines.

Mary Lee said...

This is definitely the adult version of Heidi's ghazal. They make a stunning pair.

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, my goodness...what sorrow in the call to "hold my hand." I can feel it.

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, this is so, so beautiful. ❤️❤️

Anonymous said...

Tabatha, the poem you offered is so beautiful as are the sentiments that go with it. Remembering we are not alone is so very important, as well as asking for what we need. Thank you. (From Carol Labuzzetta- The Apples in my Orchard).

Bridget Magee said...

Hurt's quote hits home and keeps me afloat. Beautiful post, Tabs. :)

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you for this touching post, Tabatha.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you for this touching post, Tabatha.

laurasalas said...

Wow...thank you for this, Tabatha. I couldn't get the Washington Post link to open, but maybe that's a firewall thing. This is a beautiful, still-ing poem.

Janice Scully said...

This poem makes me think of the courage we have to find to confront what's ahead, no matter what. Lovely poem in it's depth and simplicity.

Heidi Mordhorst said...


"Even if there is no river." Even if it's only a scraped hand. Love this.

Carol Varsalona said...

Tabatha, Hurt's quote is full of truth. Thanks for the links and the poem. -CVarsalona