Thursday, November 3, 2022

Interestedness beaming out

He is the recipient of such rebukes as You Never Want To Do Anything and All You Care About Are Your Stupid Clever Poems.
~Paul Hostovsky's bio


Happy Poetry Friday, friends! I've shared poems by sign language interpreter and poet Paul Hostovsky before, but that was in 2015 so I think we're due for another round!
Poem on the Fridge
by Paul Hostovsky

The refrigerator is the highest honor
a poem can aspire to. The ultimate
publication. As close to food as words
can come. And this refrigerator poem
is honored to be here beneath its own
refrigerator magnet, which feels like a medal
pinned to its lapel. Stop here a moment
and listen to the poem humming to itself,
like a refrigerator itself, the song in its head
full of crisp, perishable notes that wither in air,

read the rest here

************

Late for the Gratitude Meeting
by Paul Hostovsky

The guy in front of me in traffic
is letting everyone in,
waving at the cars like a policeman
or a pope--
and I really have no patience for all
the indulgence
and magnanimity at my expense

because I’m late for the gratitude meeting,
which is only an hour long.
And if I miss the first ten minutes
of silent meditation I’m going to scream,
because it’s my favorite part and because
it helps me remember to breathe.

And I’m going to throttle this guy...

read the rest here

************

Coconut
by Paul Hostovsky


Bear with me I
want to tell you
something about
happiness
it’s hard to get at
but the thing is
I wasn’t looking
I was looking
somewhere else
when my son found it
in the fruit section
and came running
holding it out
in his small hands
asking me what
it was and could we
keep it it only
cost 99 cents
hairy and brown
hard as a rock
and something swishing
around inside...

read the rest here

************

My Juicy Little Universe has the Poetry Friday round-up. Thanks, Heidi!

11 comments:

Heidi Mordhorst said...

*siiiiiiigh* I must have missed your 2015 installment, because I feel like I've never heard of this guy and why is he not more famous in general? Is it because he's too busy making a living for people to realize that he's like a combo of Billy Collins & Ilya Kaminsky & Sharon Olds?

On another note, Tabatha, it astounds me how your every find-and-share is something I needed to see/hear/read/know. I'm sad to think of all that I've missed because I don't read your blog every single day, and happy when I'm here!

Irene Latham said...

What fun! I have a poem on my fridge at this very moment (that my son wrote me for this past Mother's Day). High honor indeed! And if ever I'm wondering how I'm doing REALLY, I just watch my behavior and thoughts in traffic and I know. :) Who wouldn't marvel at a coconut?? Happiness, indeed! xo

Linda B said...

It seems Hostovsky has the marvelous ability to get inside our souls! I don't remember him either, Tabatha, but loved each one, a mirror of us! "And I’m going to throttle this guy" reminds me how people honk when I let someone in! Happy Friday!

jama said...

I love all three poems, the way Paul's mind works. The irony of the second poem is brilliant, and of course the refrigerator magnet poem made me smile. The coconut poem has a lot to say about losing inherent wonder as people grow up. Definitely a poet who resonates with the average reader -- we need more of them! Thanks for the great post.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Oh, Tabatha - what treasures. Thank you for bringing out this poet again - I, too, must have missed your first introduction. The fridge poem I especially love, as our newish fridge sings to itself all the time. The "happiness" poem broke my heart, but then mended it again. (& what fun to see my little magnet in a place of honor on your fridge, helping to hold up wonderful words, I'm sure!) xo

Jone said...

Thank you for reacquainting us to this poet. I love the refrigerator poem.

Alan j Wright said...

Tabatha, firstly I thank you for the introducation to the writing of Paul and his poetry. It is the second time this week someone has referenced 'fridge' poems. so I am now determined to revisit my fridge magnet words in search of inspiration...

mbhmaine said...

Tabatha, I'm enriched every time I read one of your posts. I love these poems, especially the raw honesty of the second two. Each one touched me in different ways, but I think I'm most partial to "Coconut." Thanks again for sharing this poet and his poems.

Mary Lee said...

Late to the Gratitude Meeting...I feel so seen!

Michelle Kogan said...

How delightful all three poems–"Coconut is really special and a great reminder for welcoming happiness, it's oozy with wonder and emotion and humanness, thanks Tabatha! xox

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, wow, what a treat this post is. Reading Hostovsky is like sitting down to coffee with someone who gets you. Thank you!